40. Aftermath

Maahi's pov:

Zaan has to go to office due to emergency. I was there with mom it's getting tough to handle her. She doesn't want to go home at all. She is not leaving Maan bhai's side. She is refusing to eat as well. Zaan is so busy these days that he can visit hospital only at night. When he goes home when I return to hospital in the morning .He goes home gets ready and leaves for office. It's been two days and doctor have told us that we can't stay with Maan bhai as he might not wake up soon. They will take care of him and we can visit him but can't stay for whole day. Ammi is not ready to leave so we requested to let her be.

Every morning before going to college. I bring clothes and necessary things for Ammi to freshen up. Zaan as usual visits at Night. He comes home around 2 or 3 and leave by 6.

I feel like he is kind avoiding talking to me. Is he still angry on me for telling Ammi?

My exams are finally finished. It's been a month and no improvement in Maan bhai or in my relation with Zaan. Do you believe that we have not spoke a word to each other in a week? He looks so stressed from last two days. I want to ask him but he has no time. I have decided no matter what today I am going to talk with him.

Usually because of exams I use to fell asleep by the time Zaan comes home but today I was awake. When he returned to the room he looked so tired. The dark circles under his eyes are so prominent. Anybody can tell that he has not slept properly in days.

He said,"You are still awake? How are your exams?"

I said,"Good. Had your dinner?"

He didn't answer and went to washroom to get freshen up. Once he came back he laid on bed and closed his eyes. He fell asleep in seconds. He must be very tired. May be I will talk with him later.

Zaan's pov:

Last month has been hell for me and it's still going on. Maan bhai has not woken up from coma. Doctors are not sure when will he wake up. I use to work alone before but there was always Maan bhai to guide me but now I have no one to ask suggestion from. Board members are losing trust on our company. So many projects are there in progress on which I have no idea. I am going crazy by studying all figures and facts. Here Ammi's health is deteroiating. Last week she fainted due to lack of nutrition. We had to admit her in hospital. I have not told this to Maahi as she was having exams. I even asked her not to come to hospital for those days. It was so hard to convince her.

I kind of blame myself for bhai's condition. He was always there for me but when he needed me I was not there for him. I was so worried for Maahi's studies. I didn't notice it was bhai's wedding Anniversary. May be if I was with him then this disaster would not have occurred and he would have been with us. I know I should not blame Maahi for it but at the start I was angry with her. I avoided talking to her so that I don't say something in anger which might hurt her. Now I know that it was no one's fault. It was suppose to be like this. I can just pray that he gets well soon.

S big issue occured five days back. Maan bhai was working along with Rizwan on mall construction. I had no idea about this. Maan bhai kept me out of this project so that I would not get hurt but now I have to take charge of it which means I have to meet him on daily basis. He is not leaving a chance to belittle me as I don't have much idea about the project. It's going on for months so it's not easy to understand details in few days.

Two days back In place of Rizwan Laila came to meet me. First I was startled to see her in office then I got to know Rizwan is not feeling well so she is going to take care of it for a while.

Working with Rizwan was hell but now working with Laila will be like deeper hell.

Today I was sitting in office when Laila came to my cabin and locked the door.

She walked seductively towards me atleast tried and sat infront of me.

She said,"Zaan.."

I said,"What kind of behaviour is this Laila? You can't just barge into my office like this."

She said,"I can do whatever I want. I am your client and you know if we back out then your company can fall apart. Anyway board directors are not trusting you as they did for Maan. If you lose such big project then you know what will happen?"

I know I know that I need this project. I have to tolerate her. I never felt this helpless.

She said,"You know what will happen, right?"

I said,"Yes..Can you please tell me why you have graced me with your presence so early in the morning?"

She said,"Zaan I think you have heard of this phrase'To win something, you have to lose something'(Kuch paane ke liye kuch khona padta hai)"

I said,"Please can you come to point."

She said,"okay. If you say so. I want favours from you in return of not taking back our investment."

The thing I was scared most is happening infront of me.

I said,"Favours? What kind of Favours?"

She said,"You know that I truly loved you, Zaan. I may have married Rizwan but my heart has always been yours."

Not in my worst nightmare I thought I have to listen all this. I have to use my last ounce of patience not to snap at her. I can't let my bhai's hardwork crumble infront of my eyes.

I said,"It's all in past Laila. Why are we discussing now?"

She said,"For you it might be past but I still love you Zaan."

I said,"What you want to say? Please can come to the actual point."

She said,"I have fallen in love with you on first sight."

I am losing patience still I kept quiet

She continued,"But for me love is not everything. I wanted money and power which I can't have if I married you because your brother's wife will get all this. I tried to seduce your brother but he didn't fall in my trap. Tough luck. I seriously wished for it to happen because I can live under same roof as you but I had no choice. He didn't give a second glance even after my all tactics so I married Rizwan. He also not a saint he lied a lot about you to marry me but the only difference is that I kind of figured it out after our engagement still went ahead with it. I tired alot to accept him but I can't love him. How can I? he is not you. "

I said,"Why are you telling me all this?"

She said,"Listen till last. You will understand what I mean. So where was I? Yeah he is not you. I was in hope that someday I will get to have you as you are single but then suddenly you married Maahi. That villager she is no match to you. I was not happy Zaan. I felt jealous, anger and betrayed. You are mine then how can she have you? The worst part is you fell for her to that nerdy. She can't even be compared to my toe tried to take my place in your heart. How can I let that happen?"

I said,"Laila enough. You can't insult my wife infront of me like this. I don't love you. You are not in my heart. It was all in past. We both married different people. There is no use of discussing all this so let's talk about our project."

She said,"It is related to Project only. I want you in return of my investment."

Hope you are enjoying :)