thirty six

It was the first day of Spring Break in Forks. My day hadn't happened as I expected it to. I had planned on waking up, the sun peeking through my curtains, and for my excitement for the upcoming party to brighten my day, but fate had other plans.

Dad had rushed up the stairs as soon as he heard me yell for him. He barged into my room and I could only imagine what I looked like to him. I could feel blood trickle from my nose and I felt the drops land on my shirt faintly. My lungs felt like someone was stomping on them as I tried to gasp for breath. As soon as he saw me, he knew. It was time for another treatment.

Dad immediately dove into action. He grabbed a stray sweatshirt from my floor and pushed my blankets off of me. He placed the sweater on my lap and placed one of his arms under my knees and the other went around my back. He hoisted me off of my bed and quickly made his way downstairs.

I could hear him whispering soothing words to me as he rushed to his cruiser but my sobs were beginning to drown out his voice. The pain my kidneys were causing me was beginning to be too much for me. I couldn't do anything to stop it. I shoved my face into his uniform jacket and savored the harsh coldness of the wind as we finally made it outside.

"Dad?" I only heard Bella's frantic voice, I couldn't bring my head up to look at her. Dad ignored her and placed me in the backseat of his car before slamming the door and starting his engine. I laid my head against the window and ignored the blood that smeared on it. I closed my eyes and for a small moment, I was able to focus on the cold glass instead of the pain inside me.

The ride was short, that much I knew. I hadn't paid attention to the short drive after Dad had turned his sirens and lights on. I could feel his anxiety radiating off of him but I couldn't find the energy to calm him down. I knew he was worried. I wasn't due for another treatment for another month but my organs decided one was long overdue. The nosebleeds were a bad sign and I knew that that was what worried Dad the most.

​​​​​​

As soon as we reached the hospital, Dad left his car, keys still in the ignition, and rushed me inside. Nurses made their way over to me and Dad handed me over to them. I caught his eye as they rolled me away and for the first time in a long time, I saw Dad begin to cry. And this time Bella wasn't the cause of it, I was.

Questions were being thrown at me left and right but the nurses failed to notice how I ignored them. I just wanted them to make the pain stop, not ask me a bazillion questions. I tried not to wince as they stuck needles in me but I couldn't hold back the tears. That, they did notice. One of them grabbed a wipe and began to clean my face of the tears and leftover blood from my now-finished nosebleed. Once they left me alone, I couldn't stop myself from crying once more.

It was painful. The entire treatment process was terrible but I endured it just so I could have another year of good health. I hated hospitals and I cried as I thought of all the years I'd have to continue this just to have a life. I've suffered for ten years, I wasn't sure just how much more I could take.

"Hello Clary, how are you feeling?" Dr. Reilly came into the room and she offered me a small smile. Dr. Reilly had always overseen my treatments if I ever required one during my visits to Forks. I trusted her with my life and she never failed to do everything possible so I could continue having one.

"Sucky." I croaked.

"I know, but we already have the machines ready, we're just waiting for your blood work results to come in." She rubbed my arm soothingly. "In the meantime, there are some people here to see you." She smiled and gestured to the door. I followed to where she was pointing and saw Sam, Paul, Jared, and Embry standing in the hallway smiling softly at me.

"Thank you." I smiled at her. She patted my hand and exited the room. The guys took this as their cue to enter the room and hesitantly strode over to me. I eyed them curiously and Sam seemed to understand my silent question.

"Jake was at your house with Bella and he called us as soon as he saw you in Charlie's arms. We got here as soon as we could." Sam came to my side and rubbed my hair comfortingly.

"I thought you were doing better." Paul's face was blank but he couldn't hide the sadness and worry in his eyes.

"I was." I shrugged.

"Damnit Clary, stop taking this lightly!" He suddenly shouted. "Jake called and said you were bleeding profusely and you're shrugging as if everything is okay."

"Paul said a big word," Jared whispered as Paul glared harshly at him and Jared was forced to back away from him.

"Paul go take a breather," Sam ordered. Paul was shaking but nodded anyway. He balled his fists and glanced at me one last time before exiting the room quietly. "He was more worried than any of us. You're like a sister to him Clary, it's all only because he cares."

"I know." In truth, I did know but Paul needed to learn how to filter his words before he spoke them.

"So when do you get to leave?" Jared closed his hands together to get our attention.

"I just got here Jared, I can't leave yet until all of my tests are done." I rolled my eyes.

"Alright, well, that's good." He turned to Embry. "Let's raid the vending machines." Embry stood up from his spot on the floor and followed after Jared. He didn't look at me once and I felt my heart ache at his harshness towards me.

"He forgave you but it still hurts him some time because he knows it's not him you love," Sam explained.

"When did you get so wise?" I scoffed.

"The second I met Emily." He chuckled.

"Good answer." I laughed. He looked like he wanted to say more but a nurse walked in and smiled gently at me.

"We're ready for you Miss Swan." She rolled a wheelchair to my bedside and before I could sit up, Sam placed his arms around me and sat me in it.

"Thanks." I nodded at him. He returned the sentiment and watched me closely as I was wheeled out of the room. As she rolled me down the hallway, we passed Paul who looked calmer. He stared blankly at me and I shied away from his stare. We passed the vending machines and I giggled as I saw Jared and Embry stuffing their mouths with chips. They both waved at me until I was out of their sight.

Now came the part I hated. The treatment. The doctors always told me that they won't always work and someday I'd be searching for another cure. There's a fifty-fifty chance my kidneys will last another year, a year I'm praying for.

The treatments consisted of two bouts of blood work, one dose of morphine, and countless nurses poking and prodding at you with needles. Every second of it sucked but the result was usually worth it. The worst part was the pity stares I would receive from anyone around me. Too much sympathy can make any sane person go insane and when they sent me those looks, I felt my sanity slip away each time.

It was all finally over and I was glad I was being wheeled back to my room. The halls were quiet and I took solace in it. The door to my room was shut and I assumed that maybe the guys just wanted some privacy but it was the blonde curly hair that shocked me to the bone. The person slowly turned to face me and I felt a smile stretch across my face. They smiled back and walked over to me.

"Jasper?" I gasped.

"Nice to see you again ma'am." What the fuck.