forty six

"Dad really?!" I shrieked as I walked into the kitchen. Dad was waving a paper plate around everywhere as smoke billowed from the microwave.

"What did I do wrong?" He asked innocently. Bella and I exchanged a look before she walked over to the microwave and removed the jar of sauce from it.

"You're supposed to take the lid off first, metal is bad for microwaves." She spoke slowly, trying to get him to comprehend her words.

"Did I get the noodles right?" I walked over to the pot on the stove and examined the murky overcooked contents inside it.

"Stirring helps," I told him kindly. I found a spoon and tried to de-clump the mushy mass while Bella questioned him.

"Dad, what's this about?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Dad grumbled. I scoffed and stared at him in disbelief.

"Oh please. Since when do you cook, much less try to?" I giggled and held up a spoonful of spaghetti noodles.

"There's no law that says I can't cook in my own house." He tried to defend himself.

"If there was, you would know." I smiled sweetly at him. He glared at me playfully before turning back to Bella. He looked as if he wanted to say something but he chose not to. He slid off his uniform jacket and hung it on the hook by the door. I turned back to the noodles and prodded at them. These days things had been awkward between us all.

Bella was upset with Dad for grounding her and she was upset with me for not supporting her choices. Dad was upset with Bella for leaving the country and driving a motorcycle illegally. We were all kind of upset with each other but I was grateful that things between Dad and I were okay. He had believed my lie and had nothing said to him about me from Jacob. That was another thing Bella was mad at me for. Jake spoke to me regularly, but he wouldn't speak to my sister.

I had tuned out Bella's conversation with Dad but I refocused when I heard her being given parole. "So you're saying I'm only being granted parole if I go visit Jacob?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." Dad clarified. "You can go down to La Push with your sister and visit him then."

"It's not as easy as it sounds Dad." Bella sighed.

"She's right Dad." I jumped in. "Jake isn't happy with Bella right now either so I don't think going to see him will make things easier for them. Give it some time, meanwhile, Bella has other friends she can go see."

"But-"

"Dad, you can't push. Remember that conversation we had before? Well, that is kind of happening right now." I rose my eyebrows and realization dawned on him.

"Oh okay." He nodded slowly. "But balance okay? See your other friends but try for Jacob." He left the kitchen after that and Bella turned to me.

"What conversation?" She asked curiously.

"I fed him some crap about teenage angst and he believed it. You're welcome by the way." I smiled at her. "Now go get dressed."

"Why?"

"Because we are going to meet up with some girls from the squad for a girls' day," I smirked at her.

"Clary, I don't want to go hang out with a bunch of cheerleaders," Bella whined.

"Oh believe me when I say, yes you do." I laughed. "Now skedaddle."

"You need to stop using words no one says anymore." She grumbled and walked up the stairs. I was already dressed and ready to go so I just went to the living room to tell Dad we were leaving.