CHAPTER 3

I'm currently in my room with Rita trying to finish copying the notes and do the homework when she says something that shocks me.

"So Tabby, after you left yesterday, Greg asked me for your address and number and I gave them to him," Rita says nonchalantly.

"You did what?!" I exclaimed.

"I gave them to him. Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Of course not!" I replied. "I don't remember permitting you to do so. You should have asked me first.

Besides, you of all people should know that boys aren't allowed to visit me, except my dad knows them or they're from church. And also you know the kind of person Greg is. He's bad company.
And the Bible says in 1st Corinthians 15 vs 33 that "... evil communication corrupts good manners". Although he was very nice to me today, that still doesn't change the fact that he's the school's bad boy." I say.

"Okay! Okay! I'm sorry." She says it in a way that makes me know that she doesn't mean it. "You didn't have to start quoting Bible for me nah. Madam Bible scholar. But he told me he might either call/text you or come to your house today."

And she drops another bomb!

"Are you for reals right now?!!" I shout.

"What if he comes and my dad meets him here? What if my dad knows a guy is texting me? Oh, I'm done for. Thanks a lot, Rita." I say fretting.

"Oh relax, would you? I told him immediately he asked yesterday that you are not allowed visitors.
I can help you work something out if you want to see him because I know you would eventually.
But, for now, he can call or text you at night when your brothers are sleeping and your dad isn't back yet." she replied.

"It's like you already planned my funeral Rita. I'm still gonna get into trouble. I know that." I say.

"Nothing is gonna happen, bae. Relax! I got this!" she says firmly.

I sigh, knowing I have lost the argument. Have I mentioned that Rita is always down for breaking rules?
Well, she is. I'm the logical one between the two of us. I still don't know how we became such good friends.
Maybe because our mums were friends before we were even born.

The memory of my mum makes me a little sad but I quickly shove it behind me.

"Well, let me kuku finish my work," I say.

And she smiled a victorious smile. In her mind, she is probably gloating over winning the argument. I just gave up because I didn't have any other choice, seeing as I know next to nothing about the topic.

I'm still the best debater at school.

About three hours later, my dad and brothers came back home. I had finished my school work and the house chores. My brothers started narrating to me all about the swell time they had at the arcade.

My dad just chuckled at their obvious excitement. He then turned to ask about my day and Rita. I replied "Fine".

Not wanting to expatiate and give details. "I finished copying the notes fast and we had some girl time," I said somewhat nervously.

My dad looked at me funny but didn't say anything. He just grunted. It was already evening and the sun was about to set. So, I left to prepare dinner. Cooking always made me feel relaxed. I decided to go elaborate.

I told my siblings I'd be making Ikokore and they screamed. Jerry commented on how the day couldn't get any better. I just laughed. I started peeling the water yam to grate.