33. Tell You The Truth

February...

I've been living in a dream. Kate knows about the werewolves, she's head-over-heels in love with Embry, Quil is now a part of Sam's pack and the tumor hasn't grown !

William came back from his trip and we exchanged our letters. I read his at night, tearing a little bit when he compared his field trip with the camping trips Dad used to take us on. He had a lot of fun with his friends, he discovered a lot of things and even ate marshmallows ! When he was six, his tongue got burn because he ate a burnt marshmallow : ever since, he refused to eat one.

I was silently reading in my room on a Friday afternoon. I still had to follow a certain treatment because despite the efforts of Dr. Stevens and Cullen, the tumor doesn't reduce by itself. It stays the size it is and doesn't change : their biggest fear is that it will grow back soon. This is why in a month, if the tumor hasn't shrunk, they will operate me.

Flipping a page, I bite my nails and furrow my eyebrows. I wonder how the hero is going to solve the problem : he has to make a choice and damn, I wouldn't want to be at his place.

I was almost at the end of the book when Billy shouted from downstairs.

"Alexandra ! Come in the living room, dear !"

I groan and roll on my bed. "Coming !" I yell back. I hate stopping in the middle of a book, it makes me grumpy.

I reach the living room and sit on the red couch, looking at Billy. He looks tormented, his eyes avoid mine and his hands are slightly shaking.

"What is it ?" I ask, leaning in the couch.

"I haven't been quite honest with you before." he tells me. "I didn't tell you what your mother said to me that day when she came with your brothers and you. But you have the right to know, and since now you also know about werewolves, nothing can keep me from telling you. She would hate me from doing this." he sighs and starts. "You lived in New York City. It's a big city, with a lot of inexplicable deaths."

"Yes, it was kind of common, though the police never discovered why, when and where it had happened." I say. I don't understand why he's telling me this.

"Your mother came to see me because wanted to know if there was any real danger living there. And if you all could be protected." he tells me.

"And ?"

"Unfortunately, the council didn't know why the deaths were inexplicable.She went back to NYC. But before leaving, she told me she suspected the doing of vampires. So, there, you know why she came." he says.

"But... what happened when she went back to New York with us ?! Why did she die ?" I demand, sitting up straighter than before.

"We don't know." he scratches the back of his neck.

"But, the Council discovered something greater. We maybe found a reason to your cancer."

*****

"Excuse me ?" I ask, confused. "You know, there isn't a reason for cancer. It's like lottery, except the prize isn't money."

"Since you're half native American, the legends apply to you. While searching for something else, an Elder found old writings, old legends. It says that a female from a werewolf family will be granted a power, only if she has the protection of her imprint."

"And ? What does it have to do with me ? No one imprinted to me." I cut him off.

He breathes deeply and continues. "The legend says that the girl will die without an imprint. And that she will be granted her power once she is imprinted on."