Chapter 38

VANESSA

Sitting in homeroom, I had Marie filing my nails and Paulette Bimbette reading the school newspaper to me. "In the closing of Walt Disney High's football season, we have won -"

"Next," I ordered.

"Normally, talent shows include awkward dance routines, a screechy singer who forgets their lyrics, and -"

"Next."

The PA system crackled, and the classroom grew a little bit quieter to listen to the announcements. "Good morning, students!" Fairy Godmother said cheerfully. "Happy Friday! As you know, the Winter Formal is upon us! Next Saturday evening, you will arrive at the gymnasium at 7 PM, and it will end at 11 PM. There will be a DJ, food, a photobooth, drinks, goodies, and of course, your Ice King and Queen elections!"

The classroom immediately began to buzz, and I smirked. I leaned over to Drizella and told her, "Start planning my campaign. And send an email to the whole student body to make them nominate me." She nodded vigorously and pulled out her laptop.

"Your homeroom teachers will be handing out nomination forms for all of you to fill out, and you will cast your votes upon arrival to the dance. You are allowed to campaign once you have been nominated, but we would like to point out that you may not pass out any unauthorized food."

"On another note," Fairy Godmother continued, "we will be having a Paris orientation on December 11. In the morning, you will go to the auditorium instead of your homeroom. We will give another reminder soon. But the sophomore class is officially going on an educational trip to Paris, France, from December 28 to January 4! The information and trip slips will be passed out at the orientation."

The classroom burst into chatter. Paris. "This will be perfect," I said out loud, my mind already buzzing with ideas. "Have you sent the email yet?" I asked Drizella.

She nodded. "Slightly threatening, but not questionable." I nodded in approval.

"Finally, tickets for the fall musical Grease will be going on sale today! Opening night is Friday December 14 at 7, and the drama class will have performances every weekend. Tickets are $12 to $20. Thank you students!"

Mr. Caterpillar drowsily passed around the nomination slips, which I had Claudette fill out eagerly. I had won Ice Queen before, so it would be easy to win again. Here I come, Disney High.

•••

At lunchtime, I had a very important meeting to attend to. I had to practically peel myself away from my admirers, who were all trying to assist with my campaign. I hardly needed any help. I stalked down the empty halls, my heels clacking on the tile loudly.

I arrived at my mother's office, knocking before stepping in. "Good afternoon, Mother," I said coldly, hanging my purse on the back of a chair and sitting down.

She was staring at her phone, and only glanced up at me momentarily. I sighed. "Do you know what this meeting is about?" I asked her, gazing down at my nails.

Ursula rolled her eyes and sighed, placing her phone down and looking at me with annoyance. "Do enlighten me, Vanessa."

"Eric's mom died."

Ursula's expression remained unchanged. She continued to stare at me, leaning back into her chair. "Really."

I nodded. I still felt scared in her presence. One wrong word, one wrong move could cause her to break out, or criticise me, or make me do something new. "What will we do?" I asked her in a small voice, and she started to open her red, overlined lips.