Chapter 26: Ultrasounds and More Surprises

Shawn and I have been married for a month now. The day after the wedding Shawn took me on our honeymoon. It was the best it just being the two of us. We went to Costa Rica for a week and we stayed in Paris for one more week. We are now back and are at our first doctor's appointment.

We are waiting in an exam room for the doctor. The reference that Dr. Daniels gave me really helped. I really like this doctor, I have a small baby bump showing through and Shawn thinks it's adorable. Shawn is next to me and I am on the table, the doctor comes in and greets us.

"Good afternoon I'm Doctor Robins and you must be Mr. and Mrs. Mendes. Congratulations to both of you." She shakes our hands.

"That's us and Thank you."

"So are you ready to see your baby?" We both nod, I lift up my shirt and Shawn takes my hand. "This gel will help get a good picture of the baby but it'll be cold at first just to warn you." She squeezes the gel onto my stomach and I wince a little and squeeze Shawn's hand a little. She places the ultrasound stick on my stomach and moves it around in the gel.

The ultrasound started up and I could hear the baby's heartbeat, it was fast.

"Wow, the heartbeat is really fast is everything ok?"

"Yes it's normal for the baby's heartbeat to be fast. Everything looks..." she starts trailing off and worry fills my mind.

"What's going on?" Shawn squeezes my hand and I am getting more anxious.

"Well, well, well, it looks like there's a second heartbeat." My eyes grow wide and I can't believe what I am hearing.

"Wait are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"Yes I am congratulations you two you're having twins." My eyes are wide and Shawn is smiling so hard he starts to get a little red.

I can't believe I'm having twins. I was only expecting one, I am so excited to see my babies.

Shawn seems excited to, he keeps staring at the screen looking at them with his face all red.

"Shawn, honey are you ok? You look like you're about to pass out."

"I'm more than ok I'm so happy." He comes down and kisses me. The doctor watching our interaction the whole time.

"I have a feeling you two are going to make great parents." The doctor smiles and stares at us in awe.

"Thank you. Are they both okay?" I ask the doctor.

"Yes everything is going as it should in this stage of the pregnancy. Would you like pictures?" I nod my head I need them for my baby books. "For future reference would you like to know the genders?" Shawn and I talked about it and we decided not to find out the genders.

"No thank you, we want to find out the old fashioned way." She nods and leaves to go print the pictures after giving me a cloth to wipe off the gel. She comes back in the room with the pictures, we thank her, make our next appointment and head home.

We get home and everyone wants to know how the appointment went. I show them the ultrasound pictures and they are all excited to hear we are having twins. Aaliyah, Karen and Manny hug us both and we all are sitting in the living room talking.

We had dinner and everyone was fighting over the names for the babies and who would spoil them the most. I have such an amazing family. It is now 8:30pm and I am very tired. I walk up to bed with Shawn behind me. I change into my pajamas and climb into bed to read a little. Shawn climbs in next to me, lifts my shirt to expose my bump and lays his head gently on my stomach. I can hear him talking to the babies and I absentmindedly run my hands through his hair.

"Hello my sweet babies, it's your daddy speaking. I hope you're both growing strong in there. I can't wait to meet you both and play with you and hold you. I love you both so much, just like I love your beautiful mommy."

He keeps talking and he occasionally leaves kisses on my belly. I occasionally leave kisses on his head.

"Shawn do you think they'll both be born werewolves?"

"We won't know for a while, they have to have their first shifts." I nod in understanding.

"How does shifting work? Do you have to do something to shift or does it come at a certain age?"

"Well you shift on the first full moon after your 13th birthday. That's how it has been for everyone."

"Does it hurt?"

"The first few times you do it, yeah it does but you get used to it the more you do it. In fact sometimes it actually feels good." I nod my head in understanding. Shawn goes back to talking to my stomach telling them what he'll teach them and show them.

I am starting to feel tired. I dog ear my page, set it on the nightstand next to me and I lay down on my back as Shawn's voice puts me into a peaceful sleep.