The Capitol

I am back home, up in a tree, hiding from the Peacekeepers. Ramsey is up in the one next to me. We are holding hands. It is a bright summer day. The sun has given us a bit of a tan. For once I feel happy. There is no pressure whatsoever. I am dressed in my usual summer work clothes. Cut-off jean shorts, a plaid shirt, red and black tied at my upper stomach, sleeves rolled up. I have a black bandana holding all of the fly-aways on my head. My hair is tied back into my standard bun and my bangs are of course all in my face.         

        Suddenly Ramsey falls out of the tree. I see him crash down to the floor. I scream but no sound comes out of me. I try to climb down, I can't move. The Peacekeepers run up to him and beat him with whips. I cry and scream but yet again no sound comes out of me. I then see Ramsey's body being dragged off toward the square. I still cannot move but once he disappears from my view, my scream is audible.

        I wake up screaming and covered in sweat in my bed. I'm panting and tears are dripping from my eyes. Lance shoots up just as I scream.

        "Johanna, are you okay?" he asks, clearly worried.

        "I.. I had a nightmare." I gasp.

        "Will it help if you talk about it?" he says.

        "I guess. It was back in Seven and Ramsey and I we were in the woods and we were up in trees and then he fell and then the Peacekeepers, they... they beat him to death. I couldn't scream or move. It was awful. Lance, is it real?" I sob.

        Lance hugs me tightly and pets my head as tears keep dripping. 

        "It's okay Johanna. It's okay. Ramsey is not dead. He is back in Seven waiting for you to come back home. I bet he is standing in front of the screens every day just to see your face. Don't you go crying on me. You can make it out, trust me. You are brilliant at tricking people, you are a fast runner..." Lance says but I cut him off.

        "Lance! Oh my gosh you're a genius! Tricking people!! Why haven't I thought of that earlier!" I cry in happiness.

        "What? What did I say?" he responds, confused.

        "Lance, I am going to trick people into thinking that I am weak and worthless. In the arena, I will just run away and wait it out. At a crucial point, I will just turn into my real self. Get a low score but conceal my skills. They won't see it coming! Thank you so much Lance!" I smile and out of habit kiss the boy straight out on the lips. He doesn't protest but he pulls away. 

        "I said one word and you made a whole theory out of it. Who is a genius now?" he laughs.

        My mind is still fuzzy after my major drinking game yesterday. I get a big-ass headache and I run to the bathroom as I feel the liquor coming up my throat. I vomit it up and I am left with this awful taste. 

        "Aw shit!" I yell. The taste is so disgusting.

        "I tried to stop you from drinking that much" laughs Lance. I kick him out of my room as I go take a shower. 

        I undress, leaving my dress and my boots on my bed. I keep the medallion on my neck. I press a button. Icy-cold jets shoot at my body. I yelp. Okay, clearly not this button. I press another. This time boiling water sprays me.

        "FUCK!!!!" I scream.

        I finally figure out how to get a mild temperature jet and which shower gel smells like pine. Hot air dries my body as I step out of the shower. My hair is untangled, straight as I like it and looks so much better than at home. Even though our shampoos in District 7 are enriched with tree sap to make our hair nice and soft, this Capitol shit really makes my dull dark hair shine like a million District 1 mirrors. I put my black dress back on with my boots and I walk out of my room. I see a table full of food. Lance and Blight, our mentor, are already at the table eating. I run to the buffet and plate myself three rolls, pine tea, hot chocolate, and veal stew. I only had hot chocolate once. It was at Ramsey's house on his birthday.