Ugly

***Milo's POV***

******Warning Homophobic Slurs******

When you think you have seen it all, known every fear and felt every heartbreak, stand back and brace yourself.

There is true beauty in this world, but equal amounts of ugliness are present as well.

Me, being who I am, accepted an invite that I knew better than to accept. Everything inside of me fought my heart. Every fiber of my being knew better. Yet, there I sat.

Steve and Marla requested visitation with me. I reluctantly accepted.

Neko? He tried. He fought like hell to bring me to a place of common sense. Yet, here I sit.

My heart hammers in my chest. Sweat beads against my skin. My inhaler is permanently gripped in my fingers. Neko whispers encouragement. I whisper apologies.

What the fuck was I thinking?

As I sit, berating myself for my stupidity, the objects of my affliction glide across the cement floors of the waiting area. A sheet of glass stands between us and I still don't feel safe.

My mind echoes memories of pain, fear and absolute horror.

Why must I allow my soft heart to manipulate me into things?

Neko rubs my back. He kisses my temple. He holds me in his arms.

I can't breathe. I can't see straight. Every part of me is dripping in pure panic.

Marla sits first, her cuffed hands in a steeple in front of her. Steve lays his cuffed wrists on top of her hands and they look lovingly at each other.

There was a time when I wished to be on the receiving end of that love.

Now, I hope I know better.

"Neko." Marla smiles widely. Her eyes trail down to me and a grimace paints across her face.

"Marla." Neko greets.

"It's Mom." Steve barks.

I feel Neko's back stiffen. I lay my hand on his chest and splay my fingers over his heart. I open and close them in a soothing motion, over and over again. I lean my head on his shoulder.

I need his support. Need.

"You two look loving." Steve glares.

"We're in love, yes." Neko confirms.

"Disgusting." Marla spits.

"We didn't come here for your judgement." I shake my head in frustration.

"We are your parents. It's our job to correct your wicked ways." Marla states firmly.

"You lost that right." I whisper. My head is bowed. I can't even look them in the eyes.

"We weren't talking to you, boy." Steve growls.

"You will refrain from talking to him like that." The guard walks over with a not so gentle reminder.

"We're sorry." Marla rolls her eyes.

"That is your only warning." The guard stands closer now.

"Yes, Sir." Steve agrees.

I smirk.

About time someone had authority over Satan's best demons.

"Can we get to the point?" Neko groans.

"We asked Milo here, so we could see you." Marla explains.

Why do they even want to see me?