Trial : Part 4

💖 Don't forget to vote/comment! 💖

***Milo's POV***

My whole body convulses as I am called to the stand. I put my right palm on the Bible and take my oath not to perjure myself. I sit and shimmy in my seat, trying to get comfortable.

"Milo, we are going to take this slowly. If at anytime you need a recess, you let us know. No one is here to judge you. No one here can hurt you. Just do your best to explain everything that you have been through." The judge turns and nods to the prosecutor after giving me his brief pep talk.

"Milo Evans, how old are you?" The prosecutor asks the most basic question first.

"18. Today." I speak clearly.

"Happy Birthday. I'm sorry that this is your celebration." The prosecutor offers me a small sad smile.

"Can you please explain to the jury, from as far back as you can manage, the relationship you shared with Marla and Steve Evans?" The prosecutor breathes calmly while I pray my heart doesn't explode from this stress.

"Marla and Steve adopted me and my twin sister, Laila, at birth. I can't remember much until about age four. Mostly I recall Neko. Every time I had a rough day or a bad nightmare, I ran to him and he hugged me closely while I fell asleep. I have nightmares sometimes still but, I'm not sure if they are fears or memories." I breathe in harshly and try to calm my erratic organ that is trying desperately to disassociate itself from my physical body.

"Can you tell us about the nightmares?" The prosecutor requests.

"Um, I dream that Marla is drowning me in a tub. I cry for her to stop. She does eventually. But, she runs off screaming that she hates me and I end up rushing to Neko's bedroom, begging him to help me. I was three." I put my head down so the memory doesn't eat at me. It's so disturbing to think my mind would conjure up such vivid details if they aren't real.

"Are you okay?" The prosecutor softly whispers. I nod and lift my head.

"I woke up with sweat covering my body. I had dreamt that Steve tried to suffocate me with my Batman pillow, I seemed to be around five. I was clutching his wrists and screaming for him to let me go. I begged him and promised him that I would be a really good boy from now on. My nails were leaving indentations in his flesh. I kicked and thrashed. When he finally let me go, I blacked out." I quietly admit. I hadn't told Neko about most of my dreams. They were too hard to hear out lout.

"Do you remember times that weren't dreams?" The prosecutor encourages.

"Every time Neko was out with friends. If I came home before him, Steve would corner me. He would hit me in the back of my head with his closed fist, slam me against the wall. Sometimes he choked me. His favorite thing to do was stand over me and kick me in my stomach with his work boots." My ribs throb at the thought of being below him as his boot collided with my body.

"Marla was more of a slapper. She back handed me if I complained about dinner. It's not that I wasn't grateful for food. It's just I have some allergies. If I consumed what she had cooked, I may not be here today. She often pulled my hair, pinched me or dug her nails into my skin. She was just catty. She didn't hurt me as much with her physical abuse as the, um, words that cut me deep." I swallow slowly. The lump forming in my throat is suffocating.

"What did she say?" The prosecutor bends down so he is eye level with me. He rests his head on his forearm and it is mildly comforting.

"They missed Laila so much. I understand. That is there daughter. But, I didn't think I was a bad kid. I'm not sure I deserved what they told me." I inhale deeply and desperately pull whatever strength I have inside myself before continuing. My hands wring themselves. My fingers catch my ring and I smile internally.