I Can't Breathe

💖 Don't forget to vote/comment! 💖

***Milo's POV***

The sound jolts me from my sleep. Pain radiates through my chest. My ribs protest my labored breathing. I can't breathe. It fucking hurts to exist. The pain takes me back to a time when my battered body had to fight, struggle to heal.

Not again. Not. Fucking. Again.

The horns around us are so loud. They are screaming, blaring in unison that we are in trouble. Sirens screech while tires squeal. The night sky explodes in radiant lights of both red and blue. My head throbs while I look around me, trying to comprehend what has happened.

Frantically, I yank away my seatbelt. My body lurches forward. My body screams in anger at my sudden movements. I climb across the seat where my husband leans against the steering wheel.

Blood trickles down his forehead. His nose cries in red stained tears. Everything becomes more than I can handle. I scream for Neko. Trying with difficulty, I gather my strength to call out louder in hopes of capturing his attention.

A loud bang at the window on Neko's side alerts me that people are aware, surrounding us. Like an idiot, I reach over my husband's slumped body to roll down the window. When it doesn't work, I panic. My breath escapes without sound. My hands pound on the dashboard.

The sound of sirens gets louder, causing me to look to my door for an escape. I breathe deeper seeing that my window is shattered. My door is concaved towards the inside of the truck. The hit must have been to my side. I reach for my face to feel for damage. I am shocked to realize that glass is mixed in with my hair, yet there is no blood on my skin when I pull my hand away.

Worriedly, I try to find a place where I can get out or maybe the emergency team can get in. My husband needs medical attention. Soon. They have to get to work on Neko. He has yet to move.

The firefighter pokes his head in my window after clearing the remaining glass. His covered hands move the shards to the side. His hand gestures me to move towards him. I know I have to. I don't want to leave Neko all alone.

"My husband. He's not awake." I try to plead with the responder to focus on the real issue. Neko needs assistance.

"We need you out of the vehicle. We will tend to him. Please. What is your name?" The firefighter reaches for me. I scoot carefully over the glass to meet him most of the way.

"I'm Milo. That's Neko. Get me out so you can help him." I allow the man to pull me from the window before handing me off to a paramedic.

I am fine. I don't need help. I'm breathing. I think I am. It still feels like I can't breathe even though I am obviously doing just that.

"You're okay. You're husband will be as well. Just let us check on you. Then, we can update you on him." The blonde EMT sends me a comforting smile that does little to ease my troubled mind.

"How long have you two been married?" She wipes at my arm. The gauze comes away with red stains. I don't even know if the blood belongs to me.

"A while." I sneer my words towards her. I know she is trying to help. I can't think straight at the moment. Then again, have I ever?

"Do you have kids?" She continues firing questions at me. My head is a little more clear on this subject.

"One son and a dog. Luke is four months. Cash is two." I nod my head at my successful answer.

"That sounds lovely." She smiles while bandaging my arm, alerting me that it must have been my blood. Oh well, I have seen more.

"What are they doing?" I move to see around her to little avail. The truck is covered by a machine that is working to remove the door from the vehicle.