Chapter Ten

Marley POV:

When I opened the file, I saw a news article.

Andrew Clark, of Richmond Virginia, was accused of the attempted murder of ex girlfriend, Samantha Dyre.

She had been found in the bedroom of her home, two stab wounds to the abdomen.

"His face was covered but I'm sure it was him. He was abusive and threatened to kill me if I ever left." Dyre reported.

Due to lack of evidence, Clark was cleared of all charges.

No finger prints of the perp were found in the home or the weapon.

I closed the e mail and called Blair back.

"Patton." "It's Marley. What am I supposed to do with this? If he was cleared of the charges this doesn't do shit." I said, angrily. "Well, I talked to Samantha Dyre. She's still one hundred percent sure that it was him. I mean, she moves around a lot just to make sure he doesn't find her. She saw Cheyenne and Jack on the news and wants to help." He replied.

"How can she possibly help with this?" I asked him. "Well, she told me that she had witnessed a few of Cheyenne's beatings. She actually went to the local police where she lives and told them what she knows. They contacted the police in Richmond and they are opening an investigation on him." Blair replied.

"Okay, so how does that help with the fact that Cheyenne is still a fugitive?" I asked. "Well, here's where it gets complicated. They're going to have to speak to Cheyenne in person about the abuse." He told me. "No fucking way. I don't trust it. I'm not letting her go back there." I said. "Marley, we need her cooperation. If she wants to clear her name, she can't hide. Please just talk to her about it." Blair told me. "Whatever." I said and hung up.

How the hell am I going to tell Cheyenne about this. She might not even know what happened with this woman.

Cheyenne POV: 

The next morning, I woke up to see Jack watching me.

"Hey, sweetheart. Are you okay?" I asked. "I had another nightmare." Jack replied.

I sighed and sat up before responding.

"Me too, Jacky. They're just dreams though, okay?" I tried to reassure him. "But what if daddy comes for us?" Jack asked. "I won't let that happen. I promise." I told him. "Okay." He said, quietly.

When I walked down stairs, I saw Marley standing at the stove.

"Mornin'." I said. "Hey." He muttered.

Marley didn't sound right. He was distant or distracted.

"You good?" I asked.

He then sighed and turned to me.

"We need to talk." He told me. "Okay." I replied.

Marley pulled me into Ryder's office and turned to me.

"Do you know Samantha Dyre?" He asked me.

That was a name I hadn't heard in a long time.

"Yeah, she and my dad dated for a couple of months. Why?" I asked.

"Did you know that someone tried to kill her?" Marley asked making my eyes widen. "What?" I asked. "Your father was the main suspect. He was cleared due to lack of evidence." He told me.

Fuck. Of course it was him. He was too fuckin' smart to leave anything behind.

"Okay, so what does she have to do with what's going on now?" I asked. "She came forward to the police where she lives. She saw him beat you." Marley told me. "She what?" I asked.

When the hell did she see that? I mean, I guess I can see why she didn't say anything. Dad tried to fuckin' kill her for God sake.

"The police in Richmond want to open an investigation on your dad but they need to speak to you." Marley told me.

What the hell? No fuckin' way is that happenin'.

"No! No way in hell. They will take Jack from me!" I yelled, panicking.

"Look, Patton told me that we can't clear your name if you don't cooperate." Marley said.

"So I would have to go back to Virginia?!" I yelled. "Not alone. I'll be comin' with you." He replied. "I can't, Marley. I can't lose Jack." I whimpered. "You will lose Jack if you don't do this, Cheyenne."