Chapter 33 - The Highway

"Wow, you guys came here to rub it in?" Adrian stood behind the counter, as Brody, Ashley and Adam came into the restaurant.

Fixing her ponytail that was stuck in her jacket, "Technically I'm working too."

"We thought it would be fun to hangout with you before we go to The Highway." Adam said.

"You mean when I'm serving you food?" Adrian sarcastically laughed. "I can see how that is fun, yes..."

Adrian took them to one of the empty tables, handing them a menu as he served them their drinks. "You guys just want the usual?"

They all nodded as Adrian took the menus back, placing their order in the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~

Adrian was now taking his break, sitting with his group of friends as Ashley was sharing something that happened during her latest date with Adam.

"We were having lunch together at our school, everything seemed normal, and then we hear all this commotion outside. All of these moms suddenly come out of their cars and march their way through the cafeteria. They were all heading to Principal Chamerlain's office, all looking pissed off as hell."

Adrian was just as interested in the school drama as everyone else at the table, "Is this still  about missing money?"

After the rumours first came up in the Stonebrook message board, it spread like wildfire across Craftswood Academy too. Everybody became interested in the major gossip, but they were all still rumours at this point of time.

Ashley nodded her head. "Holly has an uncle at the school, and he heard it through the grapevines and all that."

"So this is getting more serious?"

"Anybody could be involved, the Chairman, people from the Board of Education, maybe even Principal Chamberlain himself?! Ashley speculated. "We don't know the extent of what's happened, but it's been a month and like no progress has been made with the reconstruction. Something is definitely up..."

Adam asked Ashley and Brody, the people who were effected by this, "So what are you going to do?"

Brody didn't know what they could do, it seemed like they were being nudged into a difficult spot as time progressed. "Nothing yet, we have to wait for a meeting to be held so they can address everything. Doubt they would do that anytime soon though, it would be like admitting there's a problem and risk losing the parent's funding."

And like that, the mood was slightly dampened by the reality of the situation. Their school was starting to look bleak, and they could only sit back and watch everything unfold before they hastily do anything.

Adrian clapped his hand together, alerting the group. "Come on guys, let's not spoil your night, you're going to go out, get shit faced and have tons of fun!"

Adrian went behind the bar to grab a bottle of vodka with 3 shot glasses. Pouring one each for his friends, they all clinked their glasses as a sober Adrian watched their spirits perk up.

It seemed to do to the trick as they all began to radiate positive energy. So Adrian decided to pour another shot of vodka, making sure his friends started the night the right way.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You guys ready to start heading out?" Ashley asked Adam and Brody.

Brody wanted to say goodbye to Adrian, so he left his share of the bill on the table as he snuck round the back to find his boyfriend.

He didn't find Adrian in the kitchen, so he made his way into the stock room, hoping he wouldn't get caught by anyone else but him.

With his back facing him, Brody hugged Adrian from behind before spinning him round.