Chapter 54 - Back To Normal

It has been over a week since Sam's attack on Adrian, and Adrian's mobility has improved greatly. Adrian still had another week to go before his injuries would allegedly fully heal, and maybe after he went back to the doctors he could find out when he could go back and play for his team. 

But for now he had to settle with being a student again. It was a Wednesday when he felt well enough to go back to school. Just because he was hurt, it didn't stop the fact that midterm exams were not far away.

Adrian had gotten a lot of looks when he walked into the school, most of them very familiar about the fact that he was stabbed by one of the rich kids in the rival school. Adrian averted their gaze while Adam was by his side, staring everyone down who was giving Adrian unwanted attention.

Before Adrian could sit down in class, Adrian was called into the principal's office during the school announcements. Adrian reluctantly dragged himself into her office and waited until he was called in.

Once he sat down in front of Principal Thompson, she offered him a bottle of water which he didn't accept.

Principal Thompson was soft spoken and kind towards Adrian, completely aware of the night of the attack and the state of his injuries. "Firstly Adrian I would like to welcome you back to school. I know the last couple of weeks have been difficult for you, and we would like to assist you in anyway possible."

"There's no need to, I'm just glad I'm back." Adrian really was glad he was back in school, as much as he was an average student who didn't enjoy classes, Adrian just liked not being holed up at home.

"I also thought that it would be good for you to know that security has tightened up around the school, and we have installed more CCTV for all of our student's safety."

Adrian couldn't help but look around the room to see if there was a camera. And he saw one, a small one in the corner of the ceiling.

"And Principal Chamberlain has also followed through with the same procedures at Stonebrook Academy."

Adrian nervously scratched his arm when he asked, despite the fact he already knew the answer. "Is there still no sign of any of them?"

Principal Thompson felt guilty that one of her students were harmed under her management. And it saddened her that the Croyden family were still on the loose. "Sadly not I'm afraid. I'm sorry to tell you this, but with it being so long already since they disappeared, it's unlikely for them to be caught, or even return to this town."

Accepting the news dejectedly, Adrian thanked Principal Thompson before returning back to class, his mood sinking as he had to carry on like normal.

~~~~~~~~~~

Even though he still wasn't allowed back on the ice yet, it didn't mean Adrian couldn't at least sit in on practice. While everyone else was getting changed in the locker room, Coach Taylor invited Adrian into his little office.

Once inside, Coach Taylor closed the door as they both sat down next to each other. "Hey superstar, just wanted to check how you're holding up lately? I can't even begin to imagine if it was my own daughter who was hurt."

Coach Taylor was always enthusiastic and supportive about his player's lives, and this conversation showed it a little bit. Adrian felt the sincerity behind Coach Taylor asking about his welfare, he thought Coach Taylor was always great authority figure, which means he was at least a great dad.

"It doesn't hurt anymore Coach, but there's still another week before I go back in for my checkup. I have to wait until then to find out if I can play again." The realisation that he may not be able to play again dawned on Adrian, and it terrified him. Adrian didn't want to give up his dreams of finally making it big, and for it to only be taken away so suddenly.

Coach Taylor heard the worry in Adrian's voice, and offered a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Whatever happens next, I'll be on your side alright."

Adrian was solemn at Coach Taylor's words. "Thanks Coach," Adrian pointed towards the ice rink from over his shoulders, "I think everyone is waiting for you now."

Coach Taylor gave Adrian another pat on the shoulder before they left the office.

Adrian felt defeated again when he sat on the bench, he watched all of his friends make their way onto the ice and here Adrian was, just watching. He didn't want the stabbing to mould his future, Adrian thought he moved past it as he didn't want to let it leave a lasting effect.

But it has, while he wasn't scared for his life, he was scared he may not make his dreams become real.

Almost as if he could taste the depressing atmosphere around Adrian, Brody sat down besides him and held his hand out for him. Adrian didn't say anything and just held Brody's hand instead, squeezing it for the reassurance he needed right now.

"We'll make it through this, okay Adrian? This isn't going to be the end of you."

Adrian nodded absentmindedly, but he was pulled from his thoughts when Brody pulled him close and held him.

"The initial injury wasn't big, and neither is this minor setback. You're bigger and better than this, Adrian Jones."

Adrian didn't need to look at Brody to know that he was being serious and genuine when he said that. "You're right." Adrian whispered mostly to himself.

"You're right!" Adrian said even louder out loud.

Adrian looked up at Brody who was emotive with his eyes. "The odds of never playing again are extremely slim. I can even move properly now and everything, there's no way I won't be able to recover soon."

Brody was glad that Adrian had his fighting spirit back, gone was the pessimistic and doubtful former shell of Adrian Jones. Adrian pulled Brody in for a long and drawn out kiss as a token of appreciation for his support.

"Thank you."

Brody smiled back sweetly at Adrian as he bumped his shoulder against his shoulder. "Anytime."

~~~~~~~~~~

Despite the fact that Adrian could only give tips and advice from where he was sitting, he got to at least enjoy the sight of Brody sweating in his uniform.

Practice was ending as Brody was skating towards Adrian. Brody took his helmet off so he could wipe the sweat away.

"Great form today Brody, although it seemed like you were more of a pigeon than a MVP." Adrian teased as he passed Brody his water bottle.

Brody took a swig from his bottle as he settled with sealing it closed. "Oh yeah? Well you'll have to show me how to play properly then you dork - soon."

"Soon." Adrian found comfort at being assured he would play soon, and not just wishing and hoping he could play.

Coach Sheen called his team of players around him so he could make an announcement. Because they were all still there, the Ravens listened in also.

"So as you know, with Croyden being MIA we have a team player vacancy. As he will no longer be able to return to the team, we have luckily found his replacement."

Coach Sheen introduced the newest member of the Stonebrook Eagles. A familiar face came out from the locker room with his custom jersey on his back.

"Everyone meet the newest member of the team, Elliot Matthiou."

Elliot turned to greet all of the players. "My name's Elliot, I transferred with my sister from a school in Greece, and I'm used to playing a lot of sports so I'm perfectly fit for the team."

Everyone seemed to nod along as they learnt some things about the new player. Elliot's eyes looked around the room and did a double take when he saw Adrian, who left an impression on Elliot back at the Halloween party. "And I think I'm going to like it here."

Adrian was too busy talking to Adam that he didn't see Elliot's blue eyes admiring him from afar.

==========