#4 "Love"

She massaged her scalp as the soap ran down her back. Her head to the shower as she stood with her eyes clothes.

She stepped out fully wrapped in her towel before holding her damp curls into a high bun and slipping into some jeans and a t-shirt.

"Another shift?"

Zoe asked as she stepped out of her room grabbing her handbag.

"Yeah. Miss Patsy upgraded the menu so the place is packed every day."

Before work Aurora had a two hour lecture for her class creative writing poetry. It wasn't her first pick but Isaac had coaxed her into believing that it would be an easy A until he got through with the semester exchange program and left.

She sat at the back of the lecture hall as students filed in. A slim Hispanic looking woman with broad hips walked to the front of the hall. The guys sitting in front of Aurora already started to whisper causing her to roll her eyes.

Pathetic.

"Good morning guys and welcome to Creative Writing Poetry. I'm so glad that so much of you signed up, I'm even excited to see young men. Usually poetry and writing is not a guy favorite."

There were a few chuckles.

"I don't want to rush right into it but I want to hear your take on what poetry is."

She leaned against the stage as the class went quiet.

A guy sitting in the front row of the class raised his hand.

Aurora put her hand on her head. She disliked those eager students who answered every question and asked a ton of questions. They annoyed the living daylights out of her.

"I think poetry is a love language. You get to explore new ways to tell someone you love them."

"Give me a break."

Aurora muttered under her breath.

"Nice. Anymore definitions?"

The class remained silent.

"Okay since you aren't eager to talk. You're going to write a paragraph on what poetry means to you. You have five minutes commence."

Aurora looked down at the page in front of her, the blank page last semester she would have been eager to fill with mushy thoughts on love but this semester she didn't know.

What was poetry? It couldn't be love because poetry was beautiful and love wasn't.

How could a parent say they love their child and then basically disown them for loving someone else? She didn't get it, how could a parent not want what was best for their child but instead force them to choose.

"One more minutes guys."

She wiped at her eyes, scribbling quickly on the page.

To me, poetry is expressing how you feel in little to no words that at times only you can understand."

"Time is up. Now since I got you guys writing I want you guys to write a poem, anything. It doesn't have to rhyme, it doesn't have to be good, just put your pen to paper and let that voice in your head be heard."

A sigh escaped Aurora's lips. She had so much on her plate. It was Wednesday and she had yet to see her boyfriend. Her parents didn't call to find out if she'd made it up safely. Not even when she'd texted and said that she did, there was no response.

She closed her eyes, her pen pressing against the page.

You said you loved me,
But you lied.
Love don't feel
That way, you lied.

You said you'd be there,
But you aren't.
Told me you got me
It wasn't true.

You said you cared,
But you don't.
Caring is showing up
And you won't.

You said it'd be us,
But us isn't one.
You left just one
With no remorse.

You said you loved me,
But you lied.
Love don't feel
That way, you lied.

She dropped the pen from her hand, holding back the tears.

When class was over, she stood behind the counter at Patsy's a smile graced her face as she watched at the numerous students coming in.

"I don't think Miss Patsy has ever had this much business."

Zara said beside her.

"Adding fried foods and sandwiches to the menu was the trick all along."

Grabbing her notepad and pen, Aurora made her rounds. The usual, greet customers with a smile, tell them about the specials (more pricey), take their orders, crack a joke or say something to make them smile and leave. Return with drink orders and keep asking if they're good, then return with food and occasionally check up on them.

You didn't keep customers by being rude. They like the food but you have to make them love the service.

Seven hours in and Aurora was beat. It had been three days and she was pushing through these new eight hour shifts.

Zara stood beside her.

"I need a favor."

Whenever Zara asked for a favor, it always meant that Aurora was covering for her.

"Shoot."

"I have a date and I kind of need you to cover my shift for me."

Aurora's eyebrows arched.

"With?"

As if he'd heard her question. Jax entered Patsy's, the little cafe held a few students still but the crowd and rush had been long gone.

Aurora ran out from behind the counter, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Hey it's been forever."

He smiled nervously.

"Yeah I've been settling into the new place."

"Yeah the fact that you moved in with my boyfriend. Since when do you two get along that much?"

"Uhmm."

Zara cleared her throat behind them. Her apron was gone and her curls loose.

Aurora's eyes widened.

"Oh. Don't let me stop you guys. Go have fun."

She watched as the two left. Something was up with Jax and she couldn't put her finger on it. He looked a little on the pale side but Logan informed her that he'd stayed inside all Christmas vacation so that could be why.

Patsy's was empty and her shift was over. She'd said goodbye to all the staff as she finished counting up their earnings for the night. Stashing it away, she heard the door.

"I'm sorry but we're closed."

She was met with silence and as she turned around to reiterate her point, she froze.

He wore a smirk on his lips.

"Surprised to see me?"

She could barely utter his name.

"D...Deron."