#31 "Without You"

That night as he watched Aurora walk away, Jax died. It was the hardest blow they'd all faced this semester and a week before finals begun.

Zoe and Aurora called his parents and they came, taking the body back home with them.

Zoe was locked up in Jax's room. Logan had not seen her since that night. Aurora would stay with her but she still went to class, it was like if Zoe had become a shell of herself.

It was their last game for the season. Their championship game and Logan could feel his chest tightening.

Thinking about Jax, about how easily life could just be snatched from you.

Tomorrow wasn't promised and he learnt that that night.

Watching as Aurora cried on Caleb's shoulder, as Zoe held onto Jax's lifeless body and wept. He realized that Aurora was right. He had a lot of issues that he needed to deal with.

This semester Aurora had been dealing with hers whether she wanted to or not. Her ex boyfriend from her past reappeared and demanded that she dealt with it.

He sat on the bench thinking about his last fun memories with Jax.

Tossing a bagel at him, only for him to catch it and eat it, Logan smiled to himself. He even remembered his words that morning. That they looked cute together, referring to Aurora and Caleb.

"This one is for you Jax."

Logan said to himself as he sat on the bench.

"How'd your recruitment go?"

Caleb asked sitting beside him.

Logan shrugged.

"It was good. Now I have to choose who I want to play for. Do I stay in Florida or do I move to Washington."

"I think that choice is up to you. What's keeping you in Florida and what's pushing you to Washington?"

Logan passed his hand over his face.

"Easy for you to say. You're just packing up and going to Texas. You have no family, nothing tying you to Florida."

Caleb placed his head against the locker as he looked up at the ceiling.

"I really thought she would have told you by now."

Logan's eyebrows arched.

"Who? And told me what?"

"It's game time boys!"

Coach yelled walking into the locker room.

"Now you know how we do it. Keep your head in the game. We didn't come this far to lose. God didn't bring us this far to leave us. For some of y'all, this is the  last game playing for USF and I want you guys to give it your all. Got it?"

They all nodded as they ran onto the field.

The game was tight. Both teams were neck and neck. The sweat running down Logan's back was indication enough that this game wasn't an easy one.

He threw the ball watching as it soared threw the sky. Caleb jumped, catching it as he ran past the line. He was tackled to the floor.

The crowd was silent as Logan's eyes widened.

He scanned the crowd for her, her hand was over her mouth as she ran down the bleachers.

She stood at the gate separating the players from the team.

He saw it in that moment, what he wasn't seeing before.

He watched his friend laying lifeless on the field. No one could hover him because the ball was still in his hand. What determined their win was if he got up.