It's a family symbol

You shuffled down the street as you dug in your bag to grab your pepper spray, while this area was lit much better than your old job, you still were taking a maximum precaution on your walk home.

"Y/n?"

You squealed in shock as you whirled swinging your purse at your attacker. Jungkook didn't seem affected as the bag met his arm with a loud smack, but he looked at you sheepishly as he apologized. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I was just going to offer to walk you home"

"Gosh, Jungkook I could have hurt you what were you thinking sneaking up on me like that," Jungkook laughed as he started walking with you, "No you couldn't have, I barely felt that," he teased bumping you slightly with a solid shoulder.

"Don't tempt me to try again, I'll make sure you feel it next time," you threatened lightly. He grinned cheekily at you

"I could teach you, ya know?" he offered and you raised a brow for him to elaborate, "How to fight- defend yourself I mean, you held your own the other night, but it's important that people like you know how to defend themselves properly in a city like this,"

You scoffed, "First things first, I believe it was you who got jumped the other night, and I saved your ass" you reminded

"You did a great job of distracting them, so I could take control of the situation," he corrected. You ignored him.

"Secondly, what do you mean people like me?" you asked a flush already creeping up your cheeks. Is it a compliment to be told that your pretty enough to be kidnapped? You made a mental note to reevaluate your standards of what is and isn't a compliment in the shower later.

"People who walk home from work at night," Jungkook clarified and your face fell as you realized he wasn't flirting with you. He was being a sensible and nice guy.

Get your head out the gutter Y/N.

"Thanks, but I think I can handle my own," you said your voice flat, and Jungkook wondered what he said wrong this time.

"Oh, c'mon I can teach you the good ole' one, two," he insisted punching his fist through the air for emphasis.

It was at that moment you caught sight of the trapezoid design on his forearm too. You don't know why you were surprised, You reached grabbed his arm gently pulling it to get a better look, the inner doctor in you trying not to lust after the thick veins protruding from his arm. You should ask him if he donates blood often. "What does it mean exactly," you asked catching him off guard.

Jungkook only made a small choked sound as his voice got stuck in his throat.

"The family symbol" you elaborated as you traced the pad of your finger softly around each side. Jungkook tried to contain the shiver that ran through him but had no way of stopping the way he felt his heart swell at your question. You knew.

Hoseok or Jimin must have told you. But you knew he was in a gang and you weren't repulsed by it, you saw it for what it was, a family. You were even willing to let him walk you home. He smiled brightly as he responded,

"They're doors," he said simply, "One open inwards one open outwards, it's supposed to mean you're never alone, there's always somewhere for you to go when you're part of the family, The symbol is a promise that you'll take care of each other."

You angled your head as you saw the doors and smiled softly, "So what's the family name," you asked still trying to wrap your head around how a Park, Kim, and Jung could all be kin. Their grandparent must have been busy,

"BTS?" Jungkook asked confused "Oh it stands for-" Jungkook stopped as he saw the way your face fell.

"BTS as in the gang?" you asked and he tried to not dwell on the waiver in your voice.

"So you didn't know," Jungkook said realizing his mistake.

"Well I figured, I mean I always assumed Hoseok was apart of something, but when I asked Jimin he said it was a family crest and then you had that beautiful explanation and I thought. I thought for a second that maybe," your face turned red as you got flustered, "Maybe someone would be honest with me for once, but no I work at a gangster bakery."

You huffed your mouth set into a firm pout as you continue your rant, " Which is the most absurd thing, by the way, you guys should really re-evaluate your business tactics. Open a dive bar or something cool" you said starting to pick up your pace as you grew frantic or furious. Jungkook couldn't really tell.

"Y/n, please I'm sorry I thought you knew," Jungkook pleaded.

And you laughed humorously, "I should have I'm so stupid I really thought-" Jungkook struggled to understand you as you continued to mumble to yourself angrily your mouth in a firm pout as you turned around to head in the opposite direction.

"Where are you going?" Jungkook was jogging to keep up with you as you were on the border of full-on sprinting.

"To talk to my best friend, I wanna know if he's capable of telling the truth" you hissed and Jungkook slowed as you turned on the road of Hoseok's apartment complex.

"Oh man, oh man, oh man" he huffed, pressing his hands to his ears in despair. He tailed you slightly just to make sure you got there safe before quickly sending a warning text to Hobi. Though he wasn't sure anything could properly prepare the man for you.

You stomped up the flight of stairs in Hoseok's building, banging on the door to warn him before you dug through your purse for your keys.

"Y/n?" Hoseok asked confused as he opened the door, you shoved right past him near hysteric with anger, "Let's talk," you snapped as you made your way into the living room.

"Y/n, what the hell is going on?" he demanded taking in your disheveled state.

"I was just wondering now that I got fired from my job and work at your gangster bakery how long until I get my own cute little tattoo," you said with a saccharine smile.

Hoseok's stomach dropped, "I can explain." he started.

"I bet you can," you snapped before your eyes watered your emotions quickly getting the best of you, "Hobi, I don't wanna be mad I just wanna know the truth." you pleaded voice wavering. And that was the truth, you felt like you could care less if he was in a gang.

It was Alcorn, you had to be in a gang to survive if you weren't rich. The only reason you hadn't joined one yourself was because you were an international student and no one cared about you, but even that hadn't kept you out of it. You and Daewon almost joined Black Pink, a notorious girl gang at your university during a drunken mishap your freshman year.

Upon seeing your eyes water and your lip tremble Hoseok instantly wished you would scream at him. He didn't want to hurt you. He didn't mean for it to go this far. For you two to get so close after his sister's death, or for him to lie to you for so long.

He told himself he kept you out of it for your safety, but really it was just too easy for him to live two lives, for you to look at him like he wasn't a murderer and for him to pretend for a few hours that he wasn't. He sighed sitting on the couch and you plopped down next to him and waited patiently for him to gather his thoughts.

"I guess it's best to start at the very beginning which was when I was around 16," he started.

A/N: Sorry for all the drama but it's started to get a little heated? Don't forget to comment or vote to let me know if you're enjoying the story!!