14

I couldn't believe how large their home was, half underground to keep out the light and above looked like an old estate owned by some Duke or Earl.

I could barely walk in my heels, so Fiona carried me until we were above ground. Everything went by so quickly I didn't get to take it all in, but now that I knew there was a lot more to this place I felt the urge to explore!

The evening was chilly and damp, the moon almost full and could be seen clearly through the open French doors. Everyone looked like they were normal humans but there were so many of them.

"Is this a dinner party or a party party?"

"It's a ball actually. Dinner will be served there."

"But you don't eat..."

"Shush! Just have fun!" She pulled onto my arm holding me tight to her. "We can eat human food, we can't live off of it and we certainly don't prefer it. But this ball is for young werewolves looking for their mates."

I gasped and tried to turn back.

"Uh-uh Cinderella, you are my date and no one has stood me up in..." her eyes looked up and fingers moved as if she were trying to count the exact day and time. "...well let's just say it's been a long time. Plus your scent is delectable. Wolves use scent to find their mate and usually will end up in similar scented packs."

"But..." I stopped myself before I could create a question and made a statement instead. "Werewolves with vampires...doesn't sound dangerous at all!"

"Oh no silly, we don't mate with them. That's once in a blue moon," she winked laughing as we stayed on the side of those coming in for the party. Security was tight, a red carpet was rolled out and even ended in a circle in the entrance way. The ceilings were high and the windows larger letting light in. The cobble stone looked centuries old and the portraits of what looked like 17th century royalty were hanging on the walls next to smaller oil paintings of the sun rising and setting. Interesting for a place literally crawling with vampires that cannot be in the sun.

"So werewolves are created, just like us." Fiona looked at me amused with her little joke, "well like me. Contrary to popular modern day lure, there is no family line, one has to be bitten to be turned. And just like vampires they get serious bloodlust when hungry and living on their own, so many die in the process. Every 3 months they meet up in neutral territory, for instance our humble abode, and sniff one another out."

"Wow, real life werewolves. And vampires."

"And faeries!"

"Yes! And soulmates. A real life fairytale."
My eyes were looking at all the gorgeous gowns and buff men in tuxedos. Each wolf, just like each person, having their own flare of personal style added here and there. Some looked like they belonged together or might even be related but I could tell this was international.

I thought the werewolf population would be larger.

"And here I thought you were going to stay in Fiona's room where it's safe," I jumped hearing Oisin's voice behind me. It made me blush, luckily we added extra make up.

"What a surprise! Big brother. Look at my date and tell me how jealous you are. Come on, I want to hear it." Fiona was poking a bear but I had to remember what Liam said about how she tends to get her way.

"Fiona. Can I talk with you privately for a moment?"

"No." She states and rushes us forward. Taking a glass of champagne from a waiter and hitting it with a knife to get everyone's attention. "Welcome! Can you all hear me alright?"