Betrayal

-Dominic-

"They betrayed us."

He didn't have to say anymore. I glanced around at the guys who seemed to get the message as well. We understood right away. There was only one thing that could cause a gang leader to react the way he did. 

His gang is working against him. 

It took a few minutes for us to be able to help Nick up and into the living room where we'd be able to talk properly. 

"Is it London?" Jason was the first to ask, breaking our silence. 

Nick shook his head negatively. "They told me that after we were caught, Florida decided to work independently. After gaining enough influence and money they started convincing other departments to work with them rather than wait for me. The only groups we have left is London, Sydney and Ottawa." 

"Only three?!" Jake exclaimed which made us look at him, quickly making him say, "Sorry".

"No, don't apologise, that's crazy! What the hell? We had 11 locations and you're telling me 7 went against us!?" Zack got up and exclaimed.

"8, actually," Jason corrected. Making Zack kiss his teeth and sit back down. 

"What's London done about it so far?" I then asked with a lower tone which quietened the guys and Nick sighed, gliding his hand through his hair. 

"For the most part, following procedures. But they also told me that they've secretly started stocking up on weapons and defensive equipment just in case. They're waiting for my command on what to do next." 

"And what are you going to do next?" I asked, crossing my leg over the other and leaning back. As much as this question was on all of our minds, there was also something else I wanted to know through his answer to it. Testing him a little.  

He seemed to be able to feel what I was trying to do but couldn't understand it. He sat looking as if he was struggling but getting up and walking away and back into the garden. Zack tried following him but I raised a hand slightly and told him to give Nick some time. Plus, if anyone needed to talk to him, it should probably be me. 

I let him stand out there for half an hour alone before I came out there with two glasses of coffee. He was too distracted with his thoughts to notice me coming up from behind him so I raised my leg and gently kicked his back, causing him to stumble and curse but not fall completely. 

"God damn it, you training your legs recently?" He asked, trying to rub the area but after failing to reach properly he gave up. 

"Something like that," I answered him, handing him his cup which he took with a quiet thanks. "You know why they betrayed you?" I asked which caught his attention. He thought for a moment before replying 'no'. "They don't trust in your leadership," I stated which made his eyes go wide in both shock and confusion which I guess he had the right to feel.

"What do you mean? I've been doing this for years!" 

"When I asked you what you were going to do next, you hesitated," I said and he looked at me intently, waiting for where I was going with this. "A gang leader would have told me that he was going to show them why he was the leader, would have gone to get his men back. We're a family," I pulled back my hair and showed him my tattoo, "Aren't we?" 

Nick quietly lifted his hand towards his neck where his own tattoo was, thinking over my words. 

I sighed before carrying on. "You told me before about how you were considering giving this all up. If there was time to announce it, it would be now." For some reason, after I said this he tensed his jaw as if he didn't want to accept it. It wasn't something I was happy about saying either but this was his reality. He's gone to prison for this, served his time. He can either let his past go completely, or fight for a stronger future. 

"I don't want to just give the gang to those who went behind my back! I'm the leader for fucks sake! They should respect me for putting them together in the first place!" Nick then exclaimed angrily. I seemed to have sparked something in him. 

"You got the gang together when you were 17 and controlled them for a few years, what part of that makes you a gang leader? It was a children's playgroup." I carried on, hoping. Hoping for something. 

He turned his face to me, fast, triggered by my words. "We owned the biggest drug cartel in the whole world!" 

"Your strength was in numbers! Not leadership!" 

"I was what built this family! They respect me!"

"Clearly, the majority never did! They can work without you!" 

"Dominic!" He shouted, his cup long dropped on the floor, fist now inches away from my face but he held back strongly. It was more for intimidation than it was to hurt me. Too bad I didn't get intimidated. I grabbed his fist with one hand and drove my own into his stomach. He groaned in pain but my hand holding his fist stopped him from falling completely. 

I let go of his hand and sat down. He saw this and decided to sit down next to me. 

"In these past few years, I've come to find out what it means to lead people. It's more than just a title. You have to work at it consistently, be able to constantly prove it to those working under you." I said, now with a calmer and lower voice. He seemed to have calmed down as well. 

"You really think I should quit?" He asked I turned to look at him with a sympathetic face. 

"I want you to do whatever will make you happy and do it right." He didn't reply for a couple of seconds after that, trying to decide what exactly he wanted to do. 

"I'm going to call them," He stated.

"Call who?" I asked but already had an idea.

As he took out his phone he answered, "Florida."

There was no hesitation in his next actions which I liked to see. He got up their number and called them straight away. It took a few rings but they finally answered. 

"...Nick?" It sounded like a man on the other side. 

"I heard there's been work going on that I didn't know about Liam." Getting straight to the point, Nick's voice was now stern and he finally started sounding like a leader. 

"Hah, I guess there's no point in trying to pretend, you were going to find out one way or another." Nick clenched his fist but then relaxed and let the guy carry on, "Yes, we've started working without you. The Skulls and Bones are changing...under me." 

"What was the problem, Liam? What made you want to go rogue?" Nick asked. I could see him try so hard to contain his anger. 

"What was the problem? Everything about you was the fucking problem! You're a fucking psycho with an anger problem! You want problems with people just to have a fucking problem! You know what? You son of a bitch, you're the only god damn problem in this fucking universe!" 

Nick went silent for a second but I couldn't let these things get to him. I put a hand on his shoulder and when he looked in my direction, I gave him a positive nod, telling him that he had to keep strong. 

"I guess the only thing I have to thank you for-" Liam started again, probably thinking he has the higher stance since Nick hadn't said anything in retaliation yet, "Is giving me a fucking family. But from now on I'm going to control this family without your bitch ass."

"Well then," Nick finally speak up but when I look at him, his face doesn't hold anger or sadness, he's smirking. 

"I hope you're ready for war."