Kids

-Blake-

"I'm so tired..." Jake started nodding off and landed his head on my shoulder but then it grew heavy, eventually sliding off and onto the sofa we were sitting on. 

"Jake's gone," I announce but the room stayed quiet. It was too tense to make fun of the situation. 

We had just heard muffles of Dominic and Nick arguing through the glass of her garden. Unsure of what to do but Dominic ordered Jason, Zack and me to stay in the room so that's what we did. To say we were shocked about the news was an understatement. I thought this family was one that we could depend on, one that would last. Yet, it seems I'll be losing another family again. 

I looked back at Jake, trying to remember the little of the memories I had of our parents, our time together, happy. We were 15 but our parents were always busy trying to make ends meet at home. Regardless, we were happy and trying. They ended up dying because they were too desperate for money, spoke to the wrong people, did the wrong thing and now they're gone. 

I've always wondered if I had kids, would I be a good father? Would I be able to support and carry them? Would our family be happy? 

Both Nick and Dominic came into the room after that thought and my heart felt as if it skipped a beat when seeing her. Would... would we make good parents?

"I spoke to Florida," Nick started, which pulled me out of my fantasy and made me realise that the chance of us having a family- "There's nothing to negotiate, we'll be fighting the rest of our gang." -is close to zero. 

"It's not a fight I'll force you to take part in. They're our family, our friends, we've known them for years but as a leader, I can't just sit around and let this happen, I'm sorry. " 

I'm sure all of us were surprised at him saying this. It was...new. He never apologised yet despite it, it made him seem stronger. Dominic who was leaning back against the door frame with her arms crossed against her chest was the first to speak up. 

"I can't let my brother get killed alone, I'm not really in for the guilt-filled life. I'll fight with you." 

It made me smile and so I decided to speak up next and reassure him, "I'll have your back as well." He took Jake and me in when we had nowhere else to go and no motivation, I wasn't going to bail on him now. "I speak for Jake as well," I then add, picking up Jake's hand and waving it, knowing that he's a deep sleeper and won't be getting up. This made Nick smile gratefully which was calming. 

Zack then got up and walked around Nick before slamming both hands on his shoulders, "Don't forget, you're my brother too! Just say the word and I'll fight whoever you need me to fight!" 

"We'll all fight when you need us to fight, boss," Jason carried on and a grin spread on all of our faces before Jake let out a loud snore, making us all burst out in laughter. 

We talked a bit more after that about what was going to happen from now on. Nick explained that it won't be heavy for a while so we could relax while he got in touch with the other groups and how they'll be involved. He decided to go home after that, saying that he wouldn't be able to plan whist being this tired. Jason followed suit and Zack said that he needed to go home too, asking Dominic if he could take some books home to which she agreed. 

"You not going too?" Dominic asked, standing next to me as we waved them goodbye. 

"Nah, I'm not as tired and I want to spend some time with you," I answered as we closed the door. "You think he's going to be okay?" 

She smiled at my question, a sense of pride radiating off of her. "I know he will be." 

After that, we sat by the TV for a bit, talking about things that didn't matter until I decided to bring something up, "Nick told us what happened," she tensed under my arms and didn't say anything in reply. I had a hand on her thigh and gently rubbed it with my thumb, "I'm sorry I wasn't there." Another silence. 

She then put her head on my shoulder, still silent until I felt something wet. I let out a little relieved sigh when she started leaning into me more, letting out what she was feeling, "I had wanted to talk to you about it for so long." Her voice broke in between it. "It was suffocating, all alone." 

My heart broke for her. I can't imagine how hard it must have been. I kissed her head and wrapped my arms around her. "You're not alone anymore. You can always lean on me. I'm here, remember?" I said and she snuggled into me, calming her breath with a little smile. A smile I'd hoped to protect for as long as I lived. 

Suddenly, her phone started ringing, breaking us away. "It's Arthur," she informs before picking up. "What's up, bro?" I couldn't really hear what was going on on the other side of the line but I wasn't worried about it. "I refuse," she said and quickly followed with, "You can't just do that-" 

The doorbell then rang which made us both get up to answer it. On the other side stood Arthur and behind him, William was sitting in the driver's side of a car. 

"Love you, sis," He kissed Dominic's forehead and rushed off before Dominic even got the chance to say anything. After they had gone, I turned and looked at what Arthur had handed Dominic in the hurry he was in. I was surprised to find...

"A baby?" 

Dominic sighed and looked down at the baby girl in her arms, she seemed around one year old and ethnically Asian. 

"Her name is Hiyori," We walked back in the house as she spoke, "She's Arthur and William's daughter." My eyes softened when she said this. So, they wanted a family too. "They're great parents and love her dearly. I love her too but I do not love having to babysit her last minute." I tried keeping in my laugh but right on queue, Hiyori laughed at Dominic's anger which made me burst out with laughter. 

--

After an hour of being with the little girl, it made me start loving her too. She seemed so bright and full of energetic life. It almost reminded me of the woman during her fights who sat in front of the baby now and despite acting as if she wasn't a fan of taking care of her, the way they played together, the way Dominic fed her and made sure she was okay all the time, I started to wonder if Dominic had ever thought about the things that I did. 

"Dominic?" 

She hummed back in reply as she fed Hiyori.

"Have you ever thought about getting married?" 

"With you?" She asked back, making my heart race. 

"In general," 

"No," I was startled by her quick response which she seemed to catch. "Don't get me wrong, I think marriage is a beautiful thing. Arthur and William are the happiest I've ever seen both of them. People, in general, live their lives looking for love," she glances at me before carrying on, "and marriage is a step in which one proves that their love is beyond just lust but also for life. But..." she pauses for a second, looking down at herself and her hands before laughing. A laugh I'd have to call ingenuine. 

"Look at me! There's no way I could be a wife, a mother. I'm a fighter! And a horrific one at that." 

I sat behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist and tucking my head in her neck. She may not realise it but it's her being a fighter, being who she is, that makes her strong, makes me want her to be my wife and mother to my children if she so wishes. 

She's a fighter and that doesn't take anything away from who she is and who she can become.

Whispering in her ear I say, "I love you."