Part Five: The Bookstore

"Avery, can you stock the shelves? We have new collections coming in today so we need to make room at the front," Joe, who works at the bookstore with me, asks.

I nod my head, eager to do something since standing around is so boring. I start by going to the front of the store and pushing the cart towards the back of the store. Each section is organized according to genre. Taking the first book from the cart, I then make my way to the Murder-Mystery section, placing the books alphabetically. 

The door at the front of the store dings and I continue to place books on the shelves until I hear an all too familiar voice - Alex Jensen.

"Hello, is Avery working this afternoon?" I hear him asking Joe.

Joe responds, "I just seen her enter the Murder-Mystery section."

I roll my eyes, looking for a quick getaway but it was too late when Alex caught sight of me. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath before continuing to stock the shelves, deciding to be petty and ignore his presence all together.

"Avery," He says curtly as he enters the aisle.

I glance in his direction and give him a small, forced smile, "Looking for something?"

"Yes, you." His hands are tucked into his pocket and he takes a few more steps towards me, "I think it's best if we talk about the other night and... the night that occurred back in April."

I make a face, looking up at the clock on the wall, "I'm actually working, so unless you're buying a book I really can't waste my time, my supervisor is right there."

"Five minutes," Alex claims, picking a book up at random, "I'll buy a book for each minute you talk to me. Fair?"

I give him side eyes before folding my arms over my chest. He really wasn't playing fair because if Joe found out I was refusing sales, I could get fired. I shrug my shoulders, adding my own terms to his deal, "You also need to tell my supervisor that I was extremely helpful and deserve a raise."

"Done," He agrees.

My eyes land on the clock again so I can keep track of how much time Alex is taking from my shift, he doesn't seem to know where to start so I decide to give him the push, "You're on the clock."

"Fuck," He cusses before raking his fingers through his dark hair - how this man is in his late thirties is a mystery to me, "Look, I apologize for my behavior at the event but you need to understand that I was taken off guard when I realized my son is dating some girl that I fucked. One night stands are not supposed to show up at your family affairs."

"Can you at least keep it down?" I try to shush him, looking over his shoulder to make sure no one is hearing his vulgar language, "I had no idea that Patrick is your son, okay? I met him when I was leaving the hotel the following morning and he was really sweet... We hit things off and obviously if I had known, I wouldn't have said yes to getting coffee with him."

Alex shakes his head, "You need to break up with him."

"I'm sorry, I need to do what?"

"Break up with Patrick, I'll pay you whatever you desire that's within reason," He nods his head, being serious about this and I try not to laugh. This isn't some Lifetime movie where you pay off your mistakes, but Alex was treating me like a charity case that would do anything for a good dollar.

"No," I say firmly, "I can't just break up with him... We're not even officially dating, we're just seeing each other."

"That should make it easier."

"And what am I supposed to say, Alex? Sorry, I found out that I slept with your dad and that makes this really weird for me?" I raise my eyebrows, laughing sarcastically, "He has been too good to me and he deserves nothing less than the truth if I break up with him."

Alex groans, taking another book in his hand as we reach part way through the second minute, "Patrick and I have never had the best relationship so the last thing I need is him blaming me for a breakup."

I look away, not wanting to come between Patrick and his dad but also not wanting to be the bad guy in the situation that both Alex and I have caused. It seemed like the only way out was me leaving and I really, truly care for Patrick. I don't want to give up on seeing where things could go.

"Avery, you lied to me. This could have been prevented if you had just told me your real age, but you didn't," Alex adds to his previous statement, making me more annoyed.

"Patrick told me that you hook up with girls my age all the time," I point out, hoping to catch him in a lie but the look on his face says something more than that.

"Although I have no idea why you and my son are discussing my sex life, I'll have you know that before you the youngest girl I slept with was twenty-five," He seems to be more irritated now, "Why would you want to be with Patrick knowing the history between us?"

"It's just that!" I slam another book onto the two in his hand, staring at him with frustration written all over my face, "It's history and I want to do something for me! He makes me happy and I shouldn't have to give that up!"

Alex looks away from me, seeming to be at a loss for words but when he looks back at me he looks like a man with a motive, "Things will get messier from here. I'm telling you this because nothing good comes from family sleeping with the same woman - I've been through this before and it messes up everything."

"You've slept with Patrick's girlfriend before?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"No - I slept with my brother's girlfriend back in high school, and guess what? I haven't spoken to my brother in almost twenty years. Things like this can't be forgotten," Alex glides his tongue across his lower lip, taking a look at the clock to check his time, "You can find another boyfriend, don't make this so fucking hard."

I open my mouth to speak but I'm interrupted when Joe calls me from the end of the aisle, "Everything okay here, Avery?"

Alex speaks first, plastering on a fake smile and grabbing another random book from the shelf, "She was just telling me about these novels. I must say, she is quite the employee."

"Looks like you have some good picks," Joe says, walking towards Alex and glancing at the books in his hand, "You have the same one twice?"

"Yes, I decided to also grab a copy for my son," Alex lies, glancing over at me, "She has been very helpful, I do believe I have everything I need now, though."

"Perfect, lets get you to the front and check out those books," Joe smiles, walking away from us and heading towards the front counter.

Alex looks back at me and whispers, "Write down your number, give it to me before I leave. This conversation isn't over."

As Alex walks away, I watch him and begin to let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. I understand his point, I know why he wants me to break up with Patrick but it's so much easier said than done. We both made the mistake and now I'll be the one paying the price.

I take my notebook from my apron pocket and scribble down my number, folding it up and heading towards the front counter where Joe is checking out Alex's books, "I wrote down that recommendations for you as well."

As I pass Alex the piece of paper, his fingertips slide across my palm and I gulp, getting flashbacks of the night we spent together. The way his hands were all over my body and how he made me feel like more of a woman than any man ever has. It's different now, though. Those memories of the best sex of my life are now tainted because Alex is my boyfriend's father. Having these thoughts only make Alex's request seem more and more necessary.

"Have a good day," I say, breaking the gaze quickly and rushing to the back of the store.