Part Sixteen: No More Handouts

"Hurry the fuck up!" Alex rages at the driver in front of him, honking his horn like a maniac.

In the short few minutes I've been his passenger, I've learned that he is a very angry driver. This is New York City, there's traffic. Shouldn't he know that by now?

I stay silently in my seat, my hands placed in my lap as I keep my eyes focused on the scenery around me. Even after living here for months, I'm still in awe of this beautiful city. Moving to New York was a big decision, but I had always loved the idea of being in the city, even if I'm not exactly living in Manhattan.

I feel Alex's fingers on my cheek as he brushes them along my skin playfully, "You okay?"

Oh, I see. So I get the charming, sweet Alex in the car. I suppose it's better than the grumpy thirty-something I usually have to deal with.

I look at him, giving a small smile, "Mhm. Just letting you throw your fit in peace."

"I'm sorry, I get a bit impatient with the city traffic," He tells me.

That was already made perfectly clear.

I nod my head, "It's okay."

We're stopped at a red light and Alex is looking at me in silence but his eyes are filled with more words than his lips. He doesn't say anything, though. He keeps his thoughts to himself and I can see that it bothers him. As he looks away from me I want to ask him is he's okay, but I refrain. I know where it will go, we would have the same conversation we have had many times before.

When the light turns green the traffic doesn't budge and I see Alex pinching the bridge of his nose, irritated. His frustration causes me to laugh and he lifts his head, looking at me with furrowed brows.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it. You're just so..." I bite my lip, looking for the right word to use, "Cranky."

"Cranky? Jesus, Avery." He motions towards the digital time in the car, "At this rate we will be here at midnight. Don't you want to go home tonight?"

"So I can worry about bills and where I'm going to live next month? I think I'll take sitting in your fancy car for a few hours more," I say without thinking, then I lean my head back while I sigh.

I know this will lead to Alex asking questions but my living arrangements have been the only thing on my mind lately and in a way venting seemed like a pretty good idea.

The traffic begins to move slowly and Alex stiffens in his seat, "I thought you had an apartment in Jersey?"

"I do. But my roommate is moving out and I can't afford it on my own, therefore... The rest is unknown."

Alex scratches his stubble and I can only imagine where this will lead. More handouts from the rich guy. I'm beginning to feel like a prostitute that slept with him for money.

"Don't even say it," I tell him before he has a chance to offer me money.

"What?"

"I know that look, you're going to try to swoop in like Superman, but I'm not taking any handouts anymore. I will figure things out on my own,"As I nod my head, I let out a deep breath. I'm relieved that I managed to stand my ground, but it still doesn't fix my living issues.

Alex waits a few minutes before he speaks again, "What if it isn't a handout?"

I look in his direction with an eyebrow raised, unsure where he's going with this.

He seems to read my mind and begins to explain himself more, "I know you work for Conrad, but what about a few hours in the evenings? As my employee you could get a hotel suite on the company. You don't want handouts so you could some work for me, nothing too crazy since you already have a job."