Part Twelve: I Won't Look

I sit on the couch at my apartment, I haven't spent a whole lot of time here lately because I've been so busy with Patrick and his family in Manhattan. My roommate decided to move cloer to the city and of course without even asking if I would be interested in getting a new apartment with her, she found a different roommate.

It's clear that I may not be the best company, but now I'm in a bind. I have an apartment that I can't pay for on my own so within the next few weeks I could be homeless. Of course, I do have the option of staying with Patrick for the time being but it seems too early in our relationship for that.

Over half of the furniture that we had here was my roomate's so I'm left with a couch, a bed and any of my own personal belongings. I scroll through ads on my phone, looking for an affordable place or even a roomate ad but I fall short. The only ads I find seems to be creepy people looking for, and I quote, a cuddling companion. What does that even mean?

As I use my thumb to scroll further down the screen, my phone dings and a message pops up under Alex's name.

Alex: I need to see you.

My heart sinks into my chest and I swallow hard, unsure what he means or why he has to see me, but before I can reply he sends me the address to his office.

Me: Alex, I can't right now. I have a lot going on.

Alex: Now, Avery.

I almost respond by saying 'Yes, sir,' but I realize how suggestive that could sound so I refrain from doing so. I sigh heavily as I stand from the couch and grab my jacket from the enar empty closet.

Duty calls, and when Alex's requests my presence I must obliged.

"I'm here to see Mr. Jensen," I tell the lady at the front desk as she continues to look at the computer screen with a blank expression on her face, "Alex Jensen."

"I'm aware of his name, Miss. However, I don't see you on his schedule," She seems to be getting annoyed with me but I should be the one annoyed.

Suddenly Alex is seen coming down the hallway and he nods at the secretary, "I've got this, Ellen. Thank you. Avery, come with me."

I look from each of them before walking towards Alex as he turns away and leads me down the hallway without a word. Once we reach the door with Alex Jensen, CEO written on a fancy black and gold plaque, he opens the door.

"Take a seat," He speaks softly.

I look around his office as he closes the door, impressed by how tidy and modern the room is. It's stunning. As he directs me to sit, I take a seat on the black leather sofa, glancing at the coffee table that has a stack of magazines piled up.

Conrad Magazine is on the top, of course. The top styles nowadays and Mr. Conrad is on the cover wearing a grey suit and a blank expression. His arms are crossed and he has wealth written all over his face.

"Why are you wearing sweatpants?" He asks me.

I furrow my brows, looking across the room at him with an offended expression on my face, "Why aren't you?"

"Jesus, Avery. When visiting a high end cooperation wouldn't you assume to dress nicely?" He rolls his eyes, walking to the desk and picking up the phone, "Yes, Ellen. I'm going to need some clothes up here. Size..." He looks at me, his eyes wandering up and down my body, "8?"

I nod my head, unsure how he could guess my size just by looking at me but I can't help but be impressed. When he hangs up the phone I stand from the couch, "So what do you need and why is it so important that I not wear sweatpants?"