Part Four: A Big Deal

I stare at Alex who seems to be a little irritated in the moment. Maybe he's in shock like I am but it isn't like either of us knew when we slept together that I would go on to date his son. Otherwise, it would have never happened.

"Alex, I had no--"

"How old are you?" He asks me.

I furrow my eyebrows, confused by why he cares about my age, "Huh?"

"Because when we met you told me you were 27 but my son said his girlfriend is 22, so who have you been lying to?" Alex walks towards me and I realize he's more upset than I thought. I had completely forgotten that I told him a different age, but it wasn't supposed to be harmful. It was supposed to be one night, not something that would follow me around in life.

As I realize he's waiting for an answer, I take a deep breath and look down at my feet, "When we met I was 21, but I turned 22 two weeks later... I didn't mean for it to turn out this way but it isn't like I was underage, I was a consenting adult."

"You are unbelievably reckless, you know that? You don't get to decide when to be honest and when to lie, Avery!" His voice raises as his arms flail in frustration, "I'm 37 years old, that's a fifteen year difference!"

"Oh my God," I huff, "You're an asshole, aren't you?"

"If pointing out that you lied makes me an asshole, then so be it. I don't know what your plan was, if you wanted to get some rich man for money but leave my son out of this, okay? He's younger than you. He's only 20!"

My lips part in shock by his accusation and I begin to shake my head, "What? No! I didn't know that Patrick was your son when I met him, I would have never--"

"Never dated him or is that just what you're trying to tell yourself? I don't believe it, it's far too ironic to be a coincidence, Avery." Alex tucks his hands inside of his pockets and keeps an eye on me closely, "I can't believe I let you tell me you were 27 and actually believed it, this is unbelievable. I'm--"

"38, I heard you the first time," I roll my eyes.

"37," He corrects me, "It was supposed to be a hook up, you weren't supposed to start dating my son."

I open my mouth to speak but the door opens and Patrick walks into the hallway. He smiles when he sees both myself and his father, "Hey! I didn't expect to see you both together... They're looking for you inside, dad. Time to give the big announcement."

"Thank you," Alex says simply before walking away from me, patting his son on the shoulder as he walks back into the room to give his announcement.

Patrick turns to me, stilling smiling like he always does, "What did you and my dad talk about? He's usually right on time with things so when they couldn't find him it was very unlike him."

I laugh softly through the nerves I'm feeling in my body, walking towards Patrick and taking his hand in mine, "Nothing really... He just seemed a little concern about your age and mine. Two years is apparently a big deal."

He rolls his eyes, shaking his head, "He has slept with people your age, he has no right to judge. Plus, I'll be 21 next month."

I try not to cringe when he points out his father's habit of sleeping with girls my age - maybe he's just a perv who likes younger girls, but I'm unsure why he's so angry about my age if this is a regular thing for him.

When the sound of someone talking on the mic echoes through the hallway, Patrick gently pulls me into the other room so we can see Alex make his speech. There are even more people here now than when I left to go to the restroom, everyone dressed nicely and paying full attention to Alex who steps to the mic.

"Hello, everyone. First, I would like to thank each of you for coming tonight and I promise it's all for good reason." He's smiling but his eyes say more, he's thinking about something else and I have a good idea that I know what it is, "I am beyond proud of the business I've created and the work each and every employee has put into this hotel. That being said, it is with great pleasure that I announce to you an extension of our hotels as he open a new branch in Paris."

He waits, allowing everyone to applaud him. As Patrick claps his hands, I begin to clap as well and I look down at the floor, unable to focus on anything other than the fact that I had sex with Patrick's dad. It was the best sex of my life but it was with Patrick's dad. I can't believe my life has turned into a ridiculous Soap Opera.

Alex clears his throat and begins to talk again, but this time I don't listen. I think about the conversation we just had in the hallway and I can't help but be so surprised by the way Alex acted. When we met, he seemed like such a great guy but tonight he was a straight up jerk to me. I know the situation isn't ideal, but it isn't my fault either. Neither of us expected this to happen.

I take out my phone, pretending to glance at it before turning to Patrick, "I'm so sorry, my roommate just texted and apparently there's an emergency at the apartment. I have to go."

"Shit, let me take you," He offers instantly.

I shake my head, "No, no... Stay and support your dad. I'll get an Uber, okay?"

"Ave..."

"Patrick, please. This is a big deal for your family, stay and celebrate," I smile at him, leaning up and kissing him softly on the lips.

He kisses back and when I stand back on my feet, he's smiling at me, "You're amazing. Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

I glance to the stage one last time and see that Alex is looking in the direction of where Patrick and I are standing. His eyes meet mine and I quickly look away, heading towards the front door. I have no idea where to go from here and I have no idea how I'm going to get myself out of this situation.