Part Twenty-Two: Six Days

"No."

Alex's voice is deep and more irritated than I'm used to hearing from him."No?" I ask."That's what I said - no. I don't want you going to the Hamptons with Patrick, it's obvious that he's bringing you there to have sex and I'm not okay with you being put in that uncomfortable position," He adds, looking through his papers and refusing to make the slightest bit of eye contact with me.I take a deep breath, spinning around in the chair at Alex's office. Conrad sent me here to get some work done, assuming that Alex and I would be more productive at Alex's workplace but I'm afraid he was sadly mistaken.

"I can't really say no," I say to Alex and when his eyes meet mine I elaborate, "If I say no to my boyfriend, wouldn't that look suspicious?"

"Not if you're working that weekend," Alex suggests, "I'll see to it that Conrad needs you. Either you tell Patrick yourself or I will bring Klaus into this."

I fold my arms over my chest, annoyed with his possessive demeanour but also flattered that he seems to be protective. At the same time I'm confused by the predicament that I'm in giving the fact that I seem to be dating a father and a son at the same time.

I deserve whatever comes out of this, but Patrick doesn't.

"Alex, I don't appreciate you dictating my decision here," I admit to him and he stands from his chair, walking around the desk to stand in front of me.

As he leans back against the desk, he folds his arms over his chest and looks down at me, sighing softly, "I apologize. I'm just concerned that if you go..."

"That I'll change my mind about us?" I ask him.

Alex nods his head slowly, "My son is a good guy, I know that more than anyone and I know I'm really fucking with his life right now, but you and I, we have something here, Avery. I'd be a fool to let that slip away."

"I've already decided, Alex. Even if we didn't plan to try and see where this leads, I wouldn't be able to stay with Patrick," I admit. I clasps my hands together and begin to play with my fingers. Patrick and I could have had something special but the moment I learned about Alex was the moment I knew things would never be normal again.

Alex holds my chin between his fingers, lifting it slowly so I'm looking at him. When our eyes meet he leans in and whispers softly against my lips, "I was thinking that maybe after Patrick's birthday we can go on a private trip together. Maybe Santorini, or... the Maldives."

"Mm... Let me just pull out my wad of cash and get on that," I laughed softly, pressing my lips to his and kissing him gently.

I can feel Alex's lips move against mine, causing me to smile as little butterfly flutters appear in my stomach. He pulls back, leaning his head against mine and raising his eyebrows, "You will never have to worry about money with me, as long as I can, I will."

"It isn't about money and I never want it to be, Alex."

"I know and I never think that it's the reason you're here," He brings his hand to my face and tucks my hair behind my ear, resting his palm on the back of my neck, "If I have something that I can give to you, I will, though. It isn't a showing off thing, it's me showing you that I care. It's me wanting to see you smile. Wanting to make you smile."

I look down at my lap, feeling Alex's fingers moving through my hair. Everything he says can be so soothing and no matter how good it feels to be with him right now in this moment, I fear the outcome of anyone finding out about us in the future.

If things work well between Alex and I, eventually we would have to come out to everyone. There would be a lot of damage and I'm mortified of all the possibilities.

I'm afraid of how Patrick will react towards not only me, but towards his dad. What about Hillary? Klaus Conrad will assume this is why Alex recommended me for the job? Oh god, and then there's Felicia. Tall, blonde and beautiful barbie doll Felicia. I'm sure she would have a few choice words.

"You're overthinking," Alex states.

My eyes find his and I laugh softly, unable to deny his words, "I know... I'm just afraid."

Alex presses a soft kiss on my forehead and mumbles against my skin, "I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks, Avery. If people judge us, then that's it. As long as it's you and me, no one else will matter. I have baggage, I get that, but--"

"You have baggage?" I can't help myself from snickering at his words, "Have you met me? I'm dating your son, Alex. I'm much younger than you and I have nothing to offer."

His brows furrow and he pulls away from me, standing up straight and walking around his desk again. He stops when he's on the opposite side and he narrows his eyes at me, "Don't say that again, you have plenty to offer. You're smart, you're beautiful, and... Jesus Christ, you're unbelievably talented, Avery. Your age means nothing, okay?"

He says that now but there had been times where he slapped my age in my face, also. I know he was just frustrated, but even frustrated words can hurt from time to time.

"We should get some work done," I suggested.

Alex nods in agreement as he takes a seat on the chair, opening up his MacBook and beginning to focus on the screen.

An hour later I'm in Klaus' office, he's rummaging through a pile of designs for the upcoming fashion show and Alex is next to him, looking at the designs as he holds them up.

Alex's brows furrow and his voice seems unimpressed, "You never told me there would be a lingerie line."

"I wasn't aware I would need to run my business past you," Klaus remarks, giving Alex a look before continuing, "I'm paying for the space at your hotel, there shouldn't be questions involved in what my designs entail."

Alex pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head in frustration. I feel like I'm sitting in one a very uncomfortable conversation that I shouldn't be a part of and when Alex sets the designs down, he frowns, "I don't want my hotels associated with lingerie, Conrad."

"Don't be a child."

"My business doesn't revolve around half naked women and sex," Alex argues.

Klaus turns to me with his brows raised, ready to bring out the big guns, apparently. "What do you think, Avery?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Do my lingerie line really impact Mr. Jensen's vision for his hotel? Or is it completely unrelated because it's my business, not his?" Klaus waits for me to answer.

I look from him to Alex and then back to him again. Alex is unimpressed and looking at me with a knowing look on his face, it's clear that he wants me to take his side but so does Klaus. 

Regardless of what I say here, I'm pissing off one of my superiors.

"Can I not be involved in this, please?" I ask them, giving a small smile.

Alex shakes his head and turns back to the designs, "It's too late to make changes, but next time we do business together, be up front with me."

I, of all people, would understand what it's like to be a target of Alex's be up front with me speech, after all, when he learned about my age he was less than thrilled.

He and Conrad continue to talk and when I look at the calendar on my phone, I sigh softly.Six days.

Six more days until the fashion show, followed by 8 days until Patrick's birthday. Two weeks from now my life could be completely different.