Part Eleven: This Is Bad

The rest of the dinner went pretty smoothly but I couldn't help but feel extremely irritated by what Alex had said. I have done nothing to be immature and he had no issue fucking this immature girl. How dare he throw shade at me and be so mean just because I'm dating his son, it's almost as though he's jealous or something. Or maybe he's just that much of an asshole.

It's after nine when Dani and Hilary decide to spend the night at one of Hilary's friend's house, asking Patrick to bring them. I'm clearing away the mess on the table when he enters the dining room to run it by me.

"Hey, do you mind if I bring the girls to a friend's house? It's only a few minutes away. You can come with, or stay. Whichever you prefer."

He's probably expecting me to beg  him to take me, but I'm not going to. If anything I plan to take advantage of this time and talk to Alex while everyone else is out of the house.

"I'm just going to put the dishes in the dishwasher anyway, you won't be long so I'll wait," I smile at him as he leans in to give me a kiss.

"Alright, babe. I'll be back in a flash."

As Patrick winks at me, I giggle at his ridiculous slang. Back in a flash. Sometimes I wonder how old he really is, but when it comes to being a gentleman he's right there and that's what really matters.

I watch Patrick walk out of the dining room, taking his keys from his pocket and walking out of the house with the girls. I sigh heavily, wondering where Alex ran off to. He said he would be** back in a few minutes after he left the table but I don't have time to waste. I need to talk to him within the small timeframe I've been given.

"Alex?" I call out, but there's no response. Of course, he could be anywhere in this big house.

I walk to the kitchen and set a pile of plates onto the counter, turning to the doorway to see Alex leaning against the doorframe with a curious look on his face, "Were you looking for me?"

Ugh. The nerve of this man. He knows quite well I was looking for him.

"Yes, actually," I say with confidence before folding my arms over my chest, "Your behavior at dinner was... ridiculous. I know what you were implying."

"Oh? What was it that I was implying, Avery?" Alex furrows his eyebrows and pushes himself off of the door frame, beginning to walk towards me.

I huff, narrowing my eyes in his direction, "Saying that young girls are immature. I know you were talking about me and that is so... stupid."

Why do I sound like a child trying to defend myself? I'm just proving his point even more at this rate. I seem to be amusing Alex because he chuckles at my words, nodding his head slowly in agreement.

"If I am correct, you did say that men in their thirties are old and grumpy first," He points out and I fall silent. He isn't wrong, I did say that. But not in those exact words.

"I didn't say you- or people in their thirties are old, I just said older." My voice softens and Alex stops in front of me, looking down at me with an expression on his face that I just can't seem to-* read. I flail my arms in frustration, "I just felt like that was an unnecessary jab and you didn't have a problem with me when..."

I stop, preventing myself from saying anything more. I was about to cross a line that I don't want to cross but I'm thankful that I caught myself.

Of course Alex can't drop it, though. He knows exactly what I was going to say, "When what?"

"Nothing."

"No, no. You were about to say something... Enlighten me, Avery." A small smirk plays on his lips as he tilts his head to the side and for some unknown reason my heart is pounding. Maybe it's his deep voice or maybe it's because he's closer to me than he has been since the night we spent together, but I have chills and my body is covered in goosebumps. "I didn't have a problem with you when..."