Part Twenty-Three: Risk

The hotel is beyond chaotic and I fear that my job will be on the line if I can't get my shit together and breathe.

Just fucking breathe, Avery.

A hand is placed on my shoulder and I look over to see an ever so relaxed Alex, his brows raised and a soft smile playing at his lips - well, at least one of us can be composed.

"You okay? You seem... pale."

I nod my head, clearly lying when I say, "Totally fine."

"Mhm, that's why you're in full panic mode, I see." He glances around at the frantic people around us before whispering softly, "Just relax. Two hours from now it'll all be over and you'll be heading to the Hamptons."

Yes. I will be heading to the Hamptons with Alex's son because this weekend is Patrick's birthday and today is the fashion show, but after this weekend that's it for Patrick and I. I'm going to finally be ending things because he is too good of a person to be dragged along while I'm falling deeper and deeper for his father.

"It's just a weekend," I reassure Alex, whom I know is very hesitant about this trip.

I never took him to be someone with insecurities, but here we are. Someone as well established and handsome as Alex Jensen is worried that I will decide to stay with his young son instead of taking this life on with him by my side instead.

Suddenly, Alex tucks his hands in his pockets and looks towards the door as Klaus Conrad enters with his hands flailing, "Where is Jessica?"

"Uh... Jessica?" I ask.

"My model." He emphasizes as if I were supposed to know the names of each model he had, "She was supposed to be in the dressing room and hour ago and the show starts in twenty minutes."

I open my mouth to speak but Alex does first, "She's just one girl of man, Conrad. Get one of your other girls to take her place."

Klaus waves off Alex's suggestion, shaking his head as he looks far off in thought, "No. With timing in between the girls, it just isn't possible."

"I'll go talk with Diane, I'm sure she has a backup plan," I tell him, trying to seem confident but on the inside I'm freaking out. I found the models, I chose them based on reliability - if Klaus Conrad is down a model, it's my fault, no one else's.

"Avery, wait." Klaus' voice echoes in my ear and I turn to look at him, seeing his eyes wandering in a slightly uncomfortable way for my boss to look at me.

Oh, no.

"You'll do," He says, confirming my thoughts.

"Me?!"

At the same time, Alex responds in a deep, disapproving tone, "No. That isn't happening."