My First Encounter

Her breath was throttled. She felt the doomsday has arrived. Everything has come to an end. She was going to die. 

Ross shut her eyes tight. She figured the end was near. Just as she stood there holding her breath, she heard a soft whisper in her ears.

“Sheriff’s daughter should not be found jaunting here alone at this time.” 

There was something familiar yet quite distinct about that voice. It was a girl for sure. As Ross was still thought-processing the sound, she was forcefully turned around on her heels. 

By degrees, the face was getting exposed. A hooded someone, face covered with a mask, hands had gloves on, everything was black. Someone standing at a distance might not even notice it in the dark. 

Ross blinked her eyes several times to adapt to the figure standing in front of her in the deep darkness. Taking a step towards the back, the person doffed the face mask with one hand while taking down the hood with another.  

The face revealed in the dim streetlamp. A blonde, seemingly mature girl, approaching her 20s. Hair, as smooth as silk, tied up in a short ponytail. Eyes were grey, with dense eyelashes covering them. Sharp eyebrows and the perfect face cut. Cheekbones were quite prominent, and her nose was perfectly sharp and didn't bulge out too much. The peculiarities of her looks were to die for. 

"Ann!!! Is that you?" Ross finally spoke up with a light of hope kindling inside her. 

"What are you doing here? Were you expecting someone else?" A strong, bold, and euphonious voice demanded. 

"Uh-I...I was just passing by. You know…" Ross feigned nervously. She was fidgeting her fingers tensely. Seeing her restlessness, I held her wrist to lead the way towards the dark, dense, forest-like area. 

Yes, this is where I, the narrator, enter the story. I am Angela. Rather more officially known as Christina Hans. Two names? Suspicious!!! Isn't it? You'll find out. 

"Where are you leading me? It's all dark in there. Are you gonna answer any of my questions?" She blurted out of annoyance due to my constant silence. 

Nevertheless, I didn't answer her. Instead, I just turned around and gave her a sharp glare, after which she didn't dare speak a word all through the journey. 

We walked past the bushes in utter silence. Only the voices of jungle insects could be heard. A howl or two of, most probably, a wild hyena, not considering it could be a werewolf, would also delight our walk. 

Frightened and engulfed in anxiety, Ross walked behind me with trembling steps. We trekked as I made my way through the long, overgrown prop roots of the nasty trees. After quite a while of our tramp, I lifted up the last set of vines hanging partially over a tree, and soon, we entered a place that mostly looked like a hideout in the middle of the jungle.

It was a small cottage with lots of antennas stacked on one side and a bicycle parked right in front of the door. And when I say small, I mean it. On seeing from the outside, it could be interpreted that the cottage might not comprise more than just an open sitting area. 

"Whoa! What's this!?" I heard the surprised voice of Ross from a distance. No answer as usual. I walked towards the door, unlocked the bicycle, and cleared the way for the entrance. As I turned back to signal Rossie to get in, I saw her keen eyes observing my movements. 

She followed my sign and quietly got in, her eyes avidly checking out the tiny yet well-built cottage. Although small from the outside, the interior was pretty massive. The entrance is marked with a short pathway. On one side, there was a room seeming to appear as a living room with two sofa chairs and a tea table in the middle, also a chimney. There was also a window beside the chimney.