I Saw Him

It was midnight. The streets were deserted. Standing outside the sheriff’s residence, you could clearly see that night has laid its effects on it. The dwelling stood quietly. Like the darkness of night, it stood silently. Suddenly, an intense shriek was heard, a commotion that woke up a wave of disorderliness. It came from the house that stood still. It was from Rossie's room. And in no more than the blink of an eye, the entire neighborhood arose. The tranquillity of the night was hampered and was molded into a sense of fright.

Going further near, if we peek into Rossie’s room, you would see the terror on the victim's face. Rossie sat at the edge of her bed, Emma seated alongside her. Rossie was shivering immensely out of threat, looking outside the window. When the hustle resolved a bit around her, she addressed Emma in a very faint voice. 

“I saw him Em, I do recognize him. I know for sure, it's him,” said Rossie with her voice quivering. She swallowed a gulp. Clinging to Emma, she dug her face in. At this very moment, Emma couldn't ask her who she was referring to. Her friend was in a shocking disposition. So she just sat there until Ross was comfortable enough to sleep again.

Among the adults, it was a hot discussion. What happened today wasn't for the first time. It has happened several times in several houses, particularly in children’s rooms. However, everything came back to normal a month ago. There have been no complaints for one month. And this act happening abruptly at the sheriff's house posted a grave danger towards the residents of Blueball.

“Stacy, I told you to keep your daughter away from all these,” Franklin grumbled. He was infuriated. Annoyed, he repeatedly kept tormenting Rossie's mom - Stacy, for it. 

“I warned you, Frank, this was supposed to arrive. If we don't halt them forthwith, it will grow out of hand. We have got to stop them! You know what I mean, right?” Stephanie spoke out, her grimace filled with just one emotion - Solicitude.             

“Stephanie is right! We need to terminate this tale with them. Once and for all.” Stacy asserted. 

“We will talk to Ross tomorrow. For now, I need her to soothe down a bit. You make sure you clear your side with Emma,” instructed Frank. 

Franklin Dickinson was a man befitted to his work. As a local sheriff, he had a built that would scare off the criminals. He was evenly stern at home. Rossie and her elder brother Samuel were aware of their father’s wrath. As a result, they never disputed with him.

Samuel, popularly known as Sam, was a college student studying computer engineering at the University of California. As a consequence, he was currently out of town. Hence, it was just Rossie and her parents in their mansion for now.

Or maybe it wasn't just Rossie and her parents.!?