Phil Macasky

Jessie stood shocked without blinking eyes. Maybe she wasn't able to grasp the fact that her sister, who left ten years ago and never cared to contact, has now gathered so much courage that she stood in front of Jessie. 

Her piercing stare made me uneasy. I shifted at my place uncomfortably, brushing my hair behind my ears. Suddenly, the atmosphere was tensed, so much that it became difficult for the people to breathe.

"Hey, Jess! Where are you lost? Wouldn't wanna hug your only sis?" said Emma, making an attempt to lighten up the mood. 

Emma's statement brought Jess out of her thoughts. She turned towards Emma first, and then her gaze stopped back at me. But this time, there was something else in her eyes that hit me for a moment. However, before I could interpret anything, a fierce blow was incurred by my innocent cheek. To get this straight - She slapped me! And, damn, I tell ya', A slap it was! 

My face turned red. It was heating like a stovetop. I wasn't prepared for this, so I stumbled upon my feet on one side. Emma and Ross's hands covered their mouth as a gesture of shock. 

"Accounts settled!" Jess exclaimed in a faint voice. 

Jess then brought her hand forward, gesturing to hold it as I stood half bent with one hand on my crimson cheek. Jessie's eyes were watery as if she, now, needed a warm hug to calm down her storming senses. 

I grabbed her hand to stand up. Then, hugged her tightly. My eyes filled with tears too. This time these were the tears of joy. But my lacrimals knew I wouldn't let them flow out. So without delay, the ball tears were swallowed, and a sweet smile crept on my face. 

Emma and Rossie's expressions changed from 'OH!' to 'Aww!' They both came around us too to join us in our hug. 

After a while, when all of our reunion stuff was done, we were back on the road. I had put my hoodie on, which covered most of my face. Jessie was walking beside me and on her other side followed Emma and Rossie.

"You still haven't answered my question of why be so secretive?" asked Rossie, confused about my behavior. 

"Long story! Maybe some other day. Right now, we need to discuss Chelsea." I stated, my gaze fixed straight on the road as a train of thoughts occupied my mind. 

"What are the cops saying, Emma?" Jess spoke for the first time. 

I took a glance at her expressions without turning my face. She has normalized now. I inhaled a sigh of relief and turned my attention to Emma, who was saying,

"I had a discussion with Sheriff Dickinson. And unfortunately, it wasn't a pleasant one." Emma paused and looked up at Rossie's face. 

"No offense, Ross! But I don't think the police department is capable of finding my sister. They say she left home willingly with some of her friends." Emma stated hesitatingly.  

"That's the reason why I came out. I think we need to do something ourselves. You're with me?" She added.

"Is that a question!?" Ross exclaimed with a radiant and confident smile. 

Jess also nodded in assurance. 

"Who are these friends?" I asked out of turn.

"Uh… Uhm…" Emma wasn't ready for the answer. So, she took a halt for a few moments.

"That Macasky's sister, I guess. Daniella. Yess! That's her name." Emma said thoughtfully. 

"Let's start from her house. Inquire from her parents what's the case. About her car. About her previous day. Everything you could gather." I said in an instructing tone.