Flashback - Marilyn Andrews

Evil is not something superhuman, it's something less than human.

~Agatha Christie

Teenage is a weird age. You seem to get attached too much to our friendships and relationships. So much so that we don't even hesitate to risk our lives for it.

However, adventures, heartbreaks, and catastrophes are the companions of this age. Not everyone suffers from them, but the ones who do never forget the taste of it.

The teenage disaster for my life was my so-called "BFF" - Marilyn Andrews. Daughter of Jordan Andrews.

After my aunty Lily's death and the disputes that had sprouted between the two families, no one would have judged I'll be an idiot to befriend Marilyn.

But as I said, this age is full of new experiences.

I met her during my stay at Blueball after my return. The friendship was highly unexpected. I have been homeschooling those days at Nana's place. My accommodation was at my Dad's secret hideout though!

I would rarely step out of that house, mostly for a walk. It was one of those rare days when I went out for a stroll in the early evening.

I enjoyed the changing colors of the sky as the clouds brushed away playing hide and seek with the setting sun. The lush greenery around the roads waved with the soft winds as the dancing rays of the pastel sunlight descended upon them.

Engrossed in my pleasant thoughts, from near some bushes, I heard a rustling sound.

Upon listening attentively, I heard a person sobbing. I tip-toed towards the direction and craned my neck to peek behind the foliage.

A girl hugging her legs with her head held on her knees kept crying her eyes out. This was all I saw, and the feeling of sympathy started gushing inside me. Her dress was wet, and so was her hair as if she just had a dip inside the river.

I hurried and sat on my toes beside her, gently placing my hand over her shoulder as a gesture of solicitude. I expected her to be startled, or at least surprised. Instead, she surprised me with her instant response. She hugged me, resting her head on my shoulder, and wept her heart out.

I wasn't sure what to do for the first few moments. However, after a while, I found myself consoling her by brushing my palm over her back and through her hair.

Her hair was ash-brown and smooth as silk. Though wet, they carried an elegant sense of beauty in them. I don't know why but I found that girl pretty charming at that moment. I wanted to help her, and so did I.

I understood I can't take her to my father's hideout, so I instructed her to meet me at a specific spot. I rushed home and came back with a pair of my brand-new clothes. It was one of my favorites. I never shared clothes with anyone except Jess, but she was special.

After that day, we used to meet every day at the same spot. We developed that inseparable friendship I used to watch in movies. However, I realized in due time that we were two completely different personalities.

She had her ruthless, spoiled friends whom I never joined. But there was something in her personality that kept me from cutting my ties with her. She was bossy, no doubt. However, I never felt offended to follow her domination.

It was a weird experience. Often we would have a fight and might myself to sleep. Nevertheless, a word of care from her would melt my heart, forgetting all her cruel words.

Our friendship had ups and downs. However, one day I realized she was into more evil than just bullying freshers and sneaking cigars. I found her standing with a woman dressed wholly in white. Her hands were bloody, the look of which made my feet tremble, but I kept peeking at them from behind a pole.