NOW AVAILABLE - Wayfarer

Tanden didn't get to work right away after leaving the Wanderlust. He started off by just wandering the streets near the port. Every city felt different, but every port felt familiar. The buildings near the port were always the same, shipyards and warehouses. Then there were buildings targeted towards sailors or merchants, the taverns, stores and brothels. But even though there were always the same kinds of buildings, they always had their own cultural flair.

The buildings in Till looked a lot like the buildings in Morcea, which wasn't surprising given their proximity. As he wandered the streets, Tanden also heard a lot of Morcean. There was another language, too. Something that didn't sound anything like Morcean – which must have been the local language. He didn't even know what to call it. Tillish maybe? Like most ports, he heard bits and pieces of other languages as well. He heard Teltish and Deoren a few times, and Navirian at least once. He also heard some of the Southern languages that he could identify, but didn't have any idea how to speak.

He wandered far enough that he left the busy, multicultural port and entered the proper city. The buildings felt older, and were spaced further apart than those closer to the port. This was the way the city had been before sea trading had expanded the port. Tanden would have loved to look around longer, but he knew that needed to wait. First, he had to go back to the port and find the various merchants he needed to talk to. If there was a single part of his roving lifestyle he disliked, it was bartering with merchants. But he was the one who could speak the language, so it made no sense to delegate the job to Soren or Ivern.

It actually went surprisingly smoothly. People were always more open to work with him when he spoke their language, and it didn't take him long to make contact with a few merchants who were willing to buy cargo from him, as well as sell him other cargo to trade, and food and water for the crew.

He returned to the Wanderlust just as the sun was beginning to set. The first half of the crew was just leaving for their time off as he climbed up the gangway. The deck was freshly mopped, the brass had been polished, everything looked neat and tidy. The crew loved the ship as much as he did, and it showed.

Soren was up on the quarterdeck. Tanden climbed the steps to join him. "Soren? This city is incredible, I can't—" He paused at the top of the stairs. "What's this?"

"Dinner." Soren was standing in front of a small table, with two chairs. There were two plates of roasted fish and potatoes, and two glasses of wine. "You don't eat when you get excited, unless I make you. And this whole thing about exploring Sunland has you pretty excited."

"While that is all factually correct, there's a difference between forcing me to eat and setting up a private candlelit dinner on the quarterdeck," Tanden replied. "I think you're trying to woo me."

"D'you see a candle? Reckon maybe hunger is makin' you delirious, mate."

Tanden grinned. He loved it when Soren's accent became more prominent, it meant he was winning. But Soren was right, and Tanden suddenly realized he really was hungry. Hungry enough to drop the game. He took a seat at the table. "How did today go?"

The change in topic clearly surprised Soren, who took a moment before sitting down. "Ivern and I looked through the cargo, we have a lot of Morcean silk we could sell, but I'm not sure it'll do as well here as it would back home."

Tanden stabbed a bit of fish with his fork. "I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Ivern could take the Wanderlust back to Zianna while we're inland. He could go to East Draulin." Tanden couldn't regret leaving West Draulin, and picking Soren over his family. Given the same options he would do it again in a heartbeat. But he did feel bad keeping his crew from their families, even though they had all agreed to stay on the ship.

"Maybe." Soren didn't press the issue. "We still have some crates from Zianna and Deorun. Salt, sugar, cotton, a few small boxes of unworked iron. A chest of precious stones from the Jak Mines. There isn't a lot, but it should sell relatively well. Enough to get the ship restocked to head out. We need food and water. There are a couple ropes that could use replacing, and the hull could use a good cleaning. I suppose our salaries are going towards this Sunland trip?"

"I haven't looked into it yet," Tanden admitted. "But we'll need guides, horses, supplies. I'll figure it out over the next few days. I want some time to see Till before we go."

"Aye, I figured as much."

"It's an old city," Tanden said. "This part—" he waved at the port, "—is newer. The main city is old. We need to see more of it. I don't even know what language they speak here, or who they worship. It's as mysterious as Sunland."

"No doubt you'll know everything and be fluent in their language by tomorrow," Soren laughed.

"Be reasonable. I need a week, at least," Tanden replied.

"Aye, right. My mistake, Captain."

Tanden laughed. "At the very least, I'll figure out details for our trip tomorrow. Ivern would probably like to know some specifics. Here," he picked up his wineglass and held it towards Soren. "To a new adventure."

Soren held up his own glass. "Aye, there's that," he agreed, and he clinked the glasses together. "To a new adventure."