Chapter Nine

They got dressed quickly. Soren was nervous to leave the captain's quarters. He thought they had been relatively quiet, but there was always the chance that someone had heard. Finally, he took a deep breath to steady his nerves, ran a hand through his hair, and walked out into the sunlight.

There were a handful of sailors milling about on the deck. Soren spotted his friends nearby and did his best to act casual while walking over to them.

"Morning, mates. Good night?"

"Aye," Roan mumbled. He was sitting on the stairs that led up to the quarter deck, his head buried in his hands.

"Basically carried him," Ivern chuckled. "He's a bit hungover."

"A bit?" Soren laughed.

"Shh..." Roan hissed. "Wouldn't've hurt to let me sleep longer."

"Where were you, Soren?" Jerios asked. "We thought we'd see you around."

"Oh. Well, last night the captain told me that I've paid off my debt and that I was free to go. So I spent the night thinking it over. And, I... well. I decided to stay. So I'm first mate."

Ivern and Jerios' jaws dropped. Even Roan looked up.

"Officially?" Ivern asked.

Soren grinned. "Aye. Officially."

Ivern clapped him on the shoulder heavily. "Finally! It's about time. Glad you're sticking around."

"Aye, me too," Soren agreed. "Can't be much different than—" he cut himself off when a hand dropped onto his shoulder and suddenly Tanden was standing there.

"When everyone's back, gather them on the deck," the captain said. "I have a handful of announcements to make."

"Already?" Soren asked.

"You want the men to listen to you, don't you? Besides, I have other things to say. It isn't all about you, mate." Tanden smiled and nodded at the other three. "Morning, gentlemen. Fit to work, Roan?"

"Will be, Cap'n, aye," Roan muttered in reply.

"Glad to hear it. Soren, let me know when everyone's here." Tanden clapped him on the shoulder again before walking away.

"Putting you to work already," Ivern commented. "Maybe it will be more work than you expected."

Soren shrugged. "Already doing most of it, wasn't I? The only difference is the title. Reckon I should figure out who we're missing." He walked away to do a quick tally of the crew. Most of the men were back, and while he was still trying to name who was missing, the last few men climbed up the gangway. He spread the word that Tanden wanted to make an announcement, then went up to the quarter deck. Tanden was standing by the bulwark, staring out at the water.

Soren cleared his throat as he stepped up beside the captain. "Everyone's here. What... what are you going to tell them?"

Tanden flashed him a grin. "You don't trust me?"

"For all I know, telling them could be part of the game."

"An interesting thought, but no. At least not yet." Tanden's grin widened. "Don't look so worried, mate. I can be discreet."

"Can you? They all already think you were fucking me." Soren groaned and rubbed his face. "They're going to think we made some sort of deal so that you'd give me more power. This isn't going to work. Wait, what do you mean, not yet?"

"Calm down, mate. Come on. Just stand beside me, cross your arms and try to look intimidating."

"What?"