Chapter Twenty-Six

"It isn't as simple as saying the port cities speak Teltish." Tanden paced in the middle of the room. His brothers, Clairia, Brilana, and the King and Queen were sitting at the head table. Other nobles from across New Teltar sat along either side of the room, and more guards than usual flanked the doorway. Tanden had spoken to large crowds before, his crew regularly, but even before that he'd never been shy. This crowd was certainly the most important he'd even stood up in front of. The noble families from Vasel and Lothin were attending, as were dozens of lesser lords from around the island. Tanden even picked out Acell's brother, Lord Atrick.

A lord he didn't recognize cleared his throat. "But, Lord Tanden, most of our business is with the port cities."

"That's exactly our problem," Tanden replied. "We are the outsiders. We arrived four hundred years ago and we forced Crelans and Native Zians under our rule. We all know that to be true. Whenever we show up in a foreign port, that's how the people think of us. We're tolerated, but not liked. I see it all the time. When I walk into a city, people expect the worst from me. So I make a point to speak the local language, and their behaviour towards me changes. Because to the merchant or barkeeper I'm talking to, that means I've made an effort. I'm respecting them and their culture while I'm a visitor in their city. It's the polite thing to do, and everyone involved benefits. We shouldn't continue acting like we're the dominant culture on this continent, because quite simply, we aren't."

There was a moment of silence around the room. King Edarius was nodding thoughfully. "What is it you're suggesting, Lord Tanden?"

"I believe that all navy ships which will be travelling to another country for any reason should be required to have a translator on board. Of course, we can't force the private merchants to follow those guidelines, but I believe that if the navy ships do it, the private ships will follow along. Those who can afford it, at least. It's much easier to get trading done when you can actually speak to the people you're trading with."

"While that makes sense, your suggestion will take a lot of work," King Edarius pointed out.

"The navies will have to invest in training translators," Tanden agreed. "Potentially the Order could work on offering this kind of training to the students. I certainly would have followed this line of study had it been available to me."

Lord Atrick waved his hand to get Tanden's attention. "How many languages do you speak, Lord Tanden?"

"Four. Teltish, Deoran, Navirian and Morcean. I'm an exception," Tanden said, and he at least made a little bit of effort to not sound like he was boasting. "I'm not suggesting every navy ship needs someone like me. But if a ship is heading to Morcea, they should have someone who can speak Morcean. I understand that it won't necessarily be easy, but the way our people are perceived will improve. I think that's worth the effort."

King Edarius nodded again. "You've given me quite a bit to think about, Lord Tanden. Thank you."

"Thank you for listening, your majesty." Tanden bowed before returning to his seat next to Tandar. One of the ladies got up to start her speech.

Tandar nudged his side. "And you say you're not a politician," he teased quietly.

"Like it or not, it's in my blood," Tanden replied.

On Tandar's other side, Brilana frowned at them and held a finger up to her lips. Tanden settled down in his chair and resigned himself to the rest of the speeches. At least they would be getting food relatively soon.

Another kick to the ribs woke Soren up and he rolled onto his side, coughing up water. Once he felt like he could finally get a full breath, he collapsed back onto his back. The first thing he noticed was that the sky had darkened. Then he realized that he was looking at a wooden ceiling, not the sky.