Chapter Eleven

Soren doubted he'd ever get used to waking up beside Tanden. Even on their second last day in West Draulin, he had to convince himself that it was real. That he wasn't imagining the weight of Tanden's arm across his chest.

They hadn't had sex. Tanden – cocky, confident Tanden – had been acting odd the entire time they'd been in West Draulin. Soren assumed it was because he was worried about his family hearing them, although the risk seemed like the type of thing Tanden would claim was part of the game. Still, Soren had stayed every night. And every morning when he woke up, he had to remind himself that it was real.

As a cover, Tanden had officially given him one of the guest chambers, but Soren had never stepped foot inside it. He spent his days running errands in the city or spending time with Roland. A few times, he and Roland had been invited to eat meals with the Tandrans, which Soren sat quietly through while the others ate.

The entire crew had been given leave, all except for Soren. He was beginning to realize that first mates didn't get breaks like the rest of the crew. Especially not first mates who were sleeping with their captains.

Soren was shaken from his thoughts by a knock at the door. The first morning he'd been terrified that someone would walk into the room, but after Tanden's assurances that it wouldn't happen, he calmed down. There was a second knock, and Soren nudged Tanden.

"What?" the captain grumbled.

"Someone's knocking," Soren whispered. He didn't know how soundproof the doors were and really didn't want to try their luck.

Tanden groaned loudly and rose, putting unnecessary weight on Soren's chest as he propped himself up. "What is it?" he called.

"Lord West Draulin requests you at breakfast, my lord," was the reply.

"Of course. I'll be out shortly," Tanden promised. Once the footsteps had faded away, he lay back down. "I miss making my own schedule."

"You're an early riser on the ship," Soren pointed out.

"I know, but I choose to be an early riser on the ship. Right now I want to sleep in." Tanden groaned a second time. "The feast is tonight."

"Is that a problem?" Soren asked carefully.

"Yes. Rael's invited every lord on New Teltar."

Soren laughed lightly. "That's an exaggeration."

"Hardly." With yet another groan, Tanden sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed. "I'm inviting you to the feast." He glanced over his shoulder and grinned when he saw Soren's expression of dread. "You're my right hand man, mate. You have no choice."

"Do I ever?" Soren asked dryly, but a smile flashed across his face.

"Always, mate. Come back before the feast starts so we can get ready. And buy something nice to wear while you're out."

Soren gave an indulgent sigh. "Aye, Captain."

After breakfast, Tanden spent the morning with his nephews. The boys were fascinated by his life and always wanted to hear stories, and Tanden loved to tell them. What he found interesting was the things they asked. While Tandrin would ask about what he did at each place and which important people he had talked to, Tandrix asked about what the city looked like and if he'd had any swordfights with the locals. Tanden patiently answered all of their questions and only exaggerated a few times.

He also finally gave the boys the gifts he had promised them. They were Morcean wall tapestries he'd picked up in Eith. Unsure of which boy would prefer which tapestry, he let them choose. Tandrin picked the one that depicted a castle, while Tandrix picked the one that showed two knights on horseback.