Chapter Twenty-Five

King Edarius' arrival to West Draulin was a momentous affair. He had visited a handful of times as a prince, and only once since becoming king. Tandrael was trusted to handle New Teltar, and he was reliable with his reports of incidents, meaning King Edarius never really had a reason to visit.

Of course, as a Tandran, Tanden had to be at the port to greet the King and his advisors and guards. He stood between his brothers and their wives, who had dressed up beautifully for the occasion. Tanden wore his jacket, but he'd put in some effort. Guards had been posted all over the port to keep the area clear, and some of the rarely-used carriages were waiting, so that the King wouldn't have to walk up to the fortress.

They had been waiting since the King's ship had first been seen on the horizon, and Tanden was bored. He kept glancing over his shoulder towards the Wanderlust. He could easily pick out her masts, not too far away, and the sailors moving around in the rigging. He wanted to be there, helping with the final checks before their trip. It wasn't until the ship was starting to dock that he really tried to look alert. The King's ship was boring, anyway. It was big, but it wasn't elegant, not like the Wanderlust.

When the ship was finally moored, it still took some time before the King walked down the gangway. He was dressed in full regalia, with his gold cloak swept over his shoulders and his crown catching the light. He was a few years older than Tandrael, but he still looked youthful and, Tanden had to admit, handsome.

"Nobody wears a cloak while sailing," Tanden muttered, only realizing he'd said it outloud when both of his brothers glared at him.

"Don't make me regret asking you to stay," Tandrael warned.

"I don't recall you asking," Tanden replied.

Tandrael didn't dignify that with a reply. He took Clairia's hand and together they went to greet the King. Tandrael bowed, and Clairia performed a dainty curtsy.

"Welcome to West Draulin, your majesty," Tandrael said. He was about to say more, but the Queen appeared at the top of the gangway and carefully made her way down. "Queen Florinne, it's an honour to have you visit."

She was gorgeous. Her blond hair was done up in a beautiful knot, and her dress was such a light yellow it was nearly white. King Edarius offered her his hand, and with a pleasant smile she took it. "Thank you, Lord West Draulin. Your city looks quite beautiful. I look forward to touring."

Tandar lead Brilana forward. "Your majesties." He bowed.

The King laughed. It was a friendly laugh. "Hello, Tandar. Are you enjoying your stay here? It's odd not seeing you around the castle."

"It is nice to be home," Tandar agreed. "Thank you again for giving me such an extended break. I don't get to see my little brother very often. I would have been sorry to miss him."

"Ah yes, Lord Tanden." The King's eyes met Tanden's.

He couldn't linger any longer, so Tanden joined the group. He ducked his head instead of going for a full bow. "I'm delighted to see you again, King Edarius. Queen Florinne, I don't believe I've had the pleasure."

"I don't believe you have," she agreed, with her beautiful smile again. "You're younger than I thought."

"I was a bit of a surprise," Tanden said, flashing her his best grin.

"What is it you call yourself... Captain Lord?" King Edarius asked.

"Yes, sir. Captain Lord Tanden. Of West Draulin, or of the West Draulin Navy. Sometimes of the WDN Wanderlust. It depends on who I'm introducing myself to. Different cultures value different parts of the title."