Chapter Twenty

"I hate everything that's happening right now."

"Have you always been so dramatic?" Tandar swung his sword without warning, and Tanden barely managed to move out of the way. Tandar cocked an eyebrow. "You can do better than that, little brother. You're fighting like a brand-new recruit."

"I'll concede that I'm out of practice, but I'm not exactly doing that badly," Tanden argued. "I've been training Soren, or I was, before—"

"You've been training Soren?"

Tanden scowled. "Who else was going to do it?" He was forced to step backwards again to avoid his brother's sword. Tanden immediately tried an attack, which Tandar knocked aside effortlessly.

"Oh, I don't know." Tandar shrugged. He wasn't even winded. "I'm just surprised. The man is your first mate, your—"

"No need to say it out loud."

Tandar chuckled. "And now your bodyguard? Does he have time to eat and sleep, or does he just tend to your every whim?"

Tanden was uncomfortably aware of the crowd that had grown to watch the duel. Usually he loved being the centre of attention, he couldn't deny that. But insisting they duel in one the barrack's courtyards had been nothing but Tandar wanting to show off. He was one of the finest swordsmen in the kingdom. While growing up, Tanden had watched him train for hours on end during the hottest days of the year. Tanden himself wasn't a bad fighter, he was actually quite good. The problem was no one looked good against Tandar. Talking about Soren wasn't helping him focus, either.

"Maybe this discussion is better saved for later," Tanden suggested, using his free hand to gesture at the various guards and knights who had settled in little clumps around the courtyard. "Unless you want to bring shame to the Tandran name."

"No one's ashamed of you."

"Ah." Tanden grinned. "That's because no one knows. That's because I separated myself. Who cares what I do if I'm not in the kingdom, aye?"

"You're an idiot." Tandar attacked, and Tanden deflected the blow smoothly. Pride flashed across Tandar's face. "Maybe you haven't lost all of your skills. Although I have a hard time imagining you teaching anybody anything useful."

Tanden twirled his sword. He knew it wasn't a particularly hard trick, but it looked impressive. "Maybe you should give Soren some pointers, then. After all, if he's my bodyguard, he'd better be good."

"I don't believe you want him to put himself in harm's way. You've never liked being guarded. You've liked your guards, but—"

Tanden cut him off with an attack. Tandar blocked, and suddenly Tanden found himself on the cobbled floor, his sword clattering just out of reach. He tried to get up, but the tip of Tandar's sword was pointed at his chest. With a sigh he leaned back onto his hands.

Tandar chuckled. "You're not supposed to get angry during a fight."

Tanden stared at his brother a moment longer, then knocked the sword aside and grabbed the hand Tandar offered him. He let himself be hoisted to his feet, then dusted off his clothing. "I didn't know the noble and great Sir Tandar sank so low as to try to upset his opponents."

"You're an easy mark, little brother." Tandar clapped him on the shoulder.

Tanden winced and rubbed his shoulder. "Yes, well..."

"Does the tattoo still bother you?"

Tanden froze. Nobody knew about the tattoo, aside for a few members of the crew. Tandar couldn't possibly be that good at guessing. "Who told you?"