Varian's Plan

Woop, double bill! I tried to get this up last night, but just ran out of time, sorry about that!

"There's so many things that don't add up," Varian sighed, stroking Ruddiger's head, "why would she run away from a three year sentence, and why wouldn't she bring Owl or Fidella with her?"

"I don't know," Rapunzel mumbled, pacing back and forth, "it's so unlike her to escape from punishment, anyway. Cass is the kind of person who will endure anything, go to any lengths, to own up for something she's done. She wouldn't run away from justice."

"Harold keeps saying that James said something about "getting rid of her," too," Eugene interjected, scribbling something down on a piece of paper, "apparently, that's why he attacked James."

"Ugh, James," Varian scoffed, "I guarantee he has something to do with this! You should've seen the way he was treating Cass, in the courtroom!"

Eugene, Rapunzel, and Lance all frowned.

"How was he treating her?" Eugene asked, his voice low, almost like a growl.

Varian narrowed his eyes.

"It looked like he was whispering things to her, he kept pulling her back sharply, he kept touching her, in places he shouldn't have, and at one point, he made her cry. I've never seen Cass so upset."

"The disgusting creep," Eugene mumbled, clenching his fists.

"He used to hurt me, too," Varian continued, "not in the same way, as Cass, but...it still hurt."

Rapunzel put a comforting arm around the teenager.

"I'm so sorry, Varian," she whispered.

"I-it's ok, Rapunzel."

Eugene stepped forward and put his hand on his shoulder.

"What did he used to do, if you don't mind me asking, of course?" He asked.

Varian inhaled deeply.

A year and a half ago-

James seized Varian by the collar and chucked him into his cell. He fell onto his chest, crying out in pain, as his ribs throbbed.

"That didn't hurt, you're just attention seeking!" The guard sneered.

Varian growled, picking himself up, off the dirty floor.

"What's that vermin doing in here?"

Ruddiger scampered under Varian's bed, as soon as James laid his eyes on him, terrified.

"Leave him alone!" Varian cried, stepping in front of his friend.

"Don't shout at me, you brat!"

James pushed Varian backwards, before delving under his bed and grabbing the squirming racoon.

"Let him go!" Varian screamed, grabbing the man's arm.

"Get off!"

Once again, Varian was knocked back, allowing James to slip past and out of the door, Ruddiger still struggling in his arms.

"When Ruddiger was brought back, a week later, some of his fur was missing, and he kept flinching. He wasn't the same."

Rapunzel, Eugene and Lance all teared up. They weren't sure what to say. They felt awful.

"He's cruel, malicious, and ruthless," Varian continued, "if he has got something to do with Cass' disappearance, I won't be surprised."

"But, how do we find out if he has?" Lance asked, with a frown, "I don't do interrogation!"

Varian's eyes widened. He glanced up at his shelf of sierems and potions, and smiled.

"I think I have an idea," he announced, "Does Xavier have any mood potion, left?"

For the next few days, Varian worked tirelessly to recreate the truth serum, while Eugene, Rapunzel, Lance and even Adira made a strategic plan to give it to James and the King.

"Remind me again, why are you helping to save Cassandra?" Eugene said, looking up at Adira.

Adira sighed.

"I know that Shorthair and I haven't always seen eye to eye and I know she put me and the rest of the brotherhood under the spell of the mindtrap, but I also know that she wasn't in complete control, or a bad person. She apologised to me and the rest of the brotherhood, after the attack, and I respect her for that, not many people would have the guts or empathy to do so," she explained, "also I want to see Creep behind bars," she added, with a smirk.

Eugene smiled, chuckling a little.

"So do I."

"Son."

Varian turned his attention away from his work to see his father, walking into the lab.

"Hey dad!" He called, with a beam.

"What are you making?"

Varian froze. He hadn't told his dad about the plan, because he knew what would happen, if he did. He still hated Cassandra, and had no sympathy for her.

"J-just-um-" he stuttered.

"Varian?"

Varian gulped, and averted his father's questioning gaze.

"Truth serum?" Quirin grumbled, raising an eyebrow, "Varian, what are you doing with this?"

"N-nothing! It's nothing!"

Quirin frowned, and shook his head.

"Son, you are clearly doing something. You're acting all...suspicious."

"I-I'm n-no..."

"Varian, just tell me, you're clearly doing something."

Varian sighed, in defeat. He looked down at the floor.

"Y-you know how C-Cassandra is missing?"

"Yes. Good riddance."

Varian decided to ignore that comment.

"W-well, we're worried that something bad has happened to her, and we want to find out-"

"Why do you care?!" Quirin yelled, infuriated, "Varian, have you forgotten that she kidnapped you, hurt your friends, nearly destroyed Corona and mind controlled myself and the brotherhood?! She deserves bad things to happen to her!"

"Dad, are you forgetting that I kidnapped the queen, hurt my friends,, nearly destroyed Corona and then teamed up with a group of criminals to take it over? And yet you treat me like none of that ever happened!" Varian argued, "Why can't you give her a second chance, if you gave me one?"

Qurin bit his lip. He sometimes forgot how smart and empathetic his son was.

"Y-you're right you're right. Cassandra did apologise profusely to me. I am going to struggle to forgive her, for a while, but hopefully, I can get past it. I'll try and give her a second chance," Quirin said, "now, how about you tell me about your plan, and I'll see what I can do to help."

Varian's eyes widened, and a small smile spread across his face.

"Really?"

"Really."

Just to clarify, Varian is saying all this about Cass and helping her as a FRIEND, nothing else. I hate the ship, so please don't associate me or this story with it, thank you.