Nobody Was Going to Know

TRIGGER WARNING: Before this chapter begins, please be aware that the first section depicts themes such as, self-harm and suicidal thoughts, so if you're uncomfortable with reading about such things right now, please feel free to skip the first section or skip this chapter altogether and take care of yourself. Always put your well being first.

Doctor Jones had come and gone. He'd ordered Cassandra some herbs for the nausea and yet another damp cloth to keep her temperature down, but she was starting to fear that it wasn't going to be enough, or would even make her worse.

Maybe the sickness was her body's way of telling her that it was time to give up, that it was time to go? She'd failed everyone anyway, it was probably for the best, she didn't want to let anyone else down, scare anyone else or hurt anyone else.

It was at times like these, times when she was alone, that the brunette would sit in stone-faced silence, having these thoughts. Sometimes she'd pinch herself, sometimes she'd scratch herself, sometimes she'd pull out strands of her hair. It reminded her of when a chunk of her hair had been pulled out at Trellis'. That had hurt badly, that had hurt badly, but pulling at her own hair caused a different kind of pain, a pain that distracted her from all the mental pain.

She was never going to tell anyone about the thoughts or what she supposed was self-harm, as it would only hurt them and she'd be thrown back into the asylum for sure. That was one place she'd rather die than go back to. She'd made quite a list of them, now.

Cassandra pulled up her sleeve and scratched as hard as she could. She'd give them her other arm if they had to inject her again that night. They weren't going to know.

The door opened and she immediately stopped, yanked her sleeve back down, grabbed a book from her bedside table and pretended to read.

Betty came in to check her temperature.

Cassandra was polite as always. Nobody was going to know.

That night, Daphne lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Tomorrow was her first day working in the castle infirmary. She couldn't believe it. It was like a dream come true, a very daunting dream come true.

She'd have to ensure that her care-plan, demeanour and even what she wore on her feet, were absolutely perfect. She didn't want to disappoint the Queen, who had been so kind as to offer her a job and she wanted to go above and beyond for Cassandra, a girl who was suffering so much. It was a lot of pressure and the worry that she would slip up somewhere was keeping her wide awake.

What if she wasn't good enough? What if she couldn't provide the right amount of support and care that Cassandra needed? What if Cassandra didn't like her? What if she scared Cassandra?

"I'm just going to have to try my best. That's all I can do," she whispered into the darkness.

If she wasn't the right person, then she was sure that the Queen would be able to find someone else.

Maybe.

Daphne turned onto her side and stared at the clock on the far wall. It was nearly midnight. She needed to sleep, otherwise she really would slip up!

She made herself comfortable and shut her eyes tightly.

All she could do was try her best.

Eugene wandered down the hallway, hands behind his back, head down-low, lost in thought.

Paperwork concerning some guard training issues, had kept him awake most of the night, as had Cassandra's cries and screams.

He had just signed his name on a document, when he heard a blood-curdling shriek from below him. His heart plummeted and at first, he'd put his hands over his ears, but he knew that he wouldn't be able to do that for very long, as that darn paperwork wasn't going to sign itself. He needed his hands free.

The screaming went on for twenty minutes before Cassandra was quieted by what he assumed was the dreaded sedative. He hoped that would be the last time she would ever experience that harmful drug. He just hoped that Daphne would be able to help and advise the doctors on how to look after her. If not, he wasn't sure what was going to happen.

Eugene kept walking through the halls, only stopping when he heard a voice.

"Excuse me, Captain?"

He lifted his head to see Madeline, smiling tiredly at him.

"Hello, Madeline, can I help you?"

"I need a drink of water, please could you show me where the kitchen is?"

"Of course," Eugene replied, "follow me."

The two walked in silence for a while. Madeline would glance at Eugene every now and then, studying his body language and facial expressions. She could tell something was up and she knew what it was.

"I don't want to pry," she began, "but I'm assuming you heard Cassandra scream, too?"

Eugene froze, but didn't make eye contact.

"Sorry," Madeline uttered, quickly.

"No, don't apologise. I did hear her. I hear her every night."

"Me too."

"I can't bear to witness Cassandra in so much pain and fear! Pain and fear that I played a part in! I would give anything just to have the Dragon Lady back-"

"Dragon Lady?"

"You should've seen her before all this. She could be one scary, sarcastic dragon lady, but we loved her for that."

Madeline smirked.

"That Dragon Lady is still in there. Sure, she's scared, she cries, she screams, but she survived. She is still alive and breathing after everything she went through, she's been damaged by her experience, but she's far from broken. You know that."

Madeline reached out a hand. Eugene took it.

"And don't blame yourself for what happened with those two monsters. Chaining her up was their decision, not yours. You put a stop to it before it got too ugly and Cassandra doesn't know the full story. That's why she was afraid of you, but I don't think she would be at all, if she knew everything. You just need to have a chat with her, when you're both ready."

Eugene met her eyes with a teary smile.

"Thank you, Madeline."

"It's ok, Captain. We'll see what happens with this Daphne. If it yields no good results, then all we can do is try the next best thing."

"Absolutely."

"Now, I'll have my water and I'll make you a cup of tea. I think you could use it, young man."

Eugene sat down at the kitchen table and watched as Madeline helped herself to water and began boiling the kettle, a little too confidently for someone who didn't know where the kitchen was, let alone which cupboards the utensils were in.

He frowned, in confusion.

Madeline grinned.

"Ok, ok, I told a little lie. I did know where the kitchen was. The truth is, I got up for a drink, saw you and wanted to make sure you were okay. I know a troubled look, when I see one."

"I appreciate that. I think I needed someone to check up on me. Rapunzel tries, but I don't want to worry her with too many things because then she starts neglecting herself."

Madeline nodded, in understanding.

She placed a steaming cup in front of him and the two talked until they'd finished their respective drinks.

Eugene went to bed that night, feeling slightly more hopeful for what tomorrow would bring.

Something very important I need to mention is that I found out that one of you lovely people have made a TV Tropes page of this fic!! All I can say is thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart! I couldn't believe that when I found out! I love TV Tropes and the fact that my fic has its very own page is just amazing! ❤️❤️

You can find the page here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/OnTrial