Pauline and Winnifred

Pauline was a large woman with dark hair, pulled back in a tight ponytail and a bright-red face which constantly wore a cold, unfeeling expression.

Her assistant, Winnifred, was a pale, thin woman with dirty blonde hair and a face that looked like she'd seen a ghost.

Pauline and Winnifred were the only visitors Cassandra was permitted, since they were seen as essential to her care, but they were told to stand as far back from her bed as possible and always wear protective gear, which made their first meeting with her rather intimidating.

"Cassandra, this is Pauline and this is Winnifred," Jones smiled.

Cassandra didn't reply, clutching her soft owl.

"Hello Cassandra," Pauline said, sternly, "Winnifred and I are here to keep you under constant surveillance for a few weeks, since we've received concerns about nightmares and breakdowns."

Cassandra shook her head and felt her breath quicken. She couldn't help thinking of the prison guards who had also kept her under constant surveillance and then...abused her.

"We want to figure out what we can do to help you," Winnifred continued. Her voice was faster than Pauline's, which made it a little harder to follow.

Cassandra let out a sob and soon after, tears began to spill.

"Oh Cassandra!" Jones said, his voice dripping with sympathy, "Why are you crying? Does something hurt? Do you feel sick? Have you got blood coming up again?"

Cassandra's tearful eyes latched onto Jones.

"Y-you think I'm crazy!" She spluttered, sounding absolutely heartbroken, "Y-you're just like everyone else!"

She pounded her fists against the mattress, beating it to an inch of its life.

Pauline raised an eyebrow.

Jones didn't know what to say.

The rest of the day dragged on, with Cassandra refusing to speak to Jones and Jones having a nagging thought at the back of his mind about whether or not he'd made the right decision.

He felt like he'd broken Cassandra's trust. Her crestfallen look kept haunting him.

He watched as she tried to make a cat's cradle, with her trembling fingers, her face still flushed and stained, while Pauline scrutinized her, with her eyes narrowed.

She kept looking up at the woman, her eyes widening in fright, whenever she made eye contact.

He could only hope that things would get better and Cassandra would start getting used to Pauline and her assistant throughout the following weeks.

"Eat up!" Pauline barked.

Cassandra jumped, startled, and dropped her fork on the floor.

"I-I'm sorry!"

Pauline just glared at the brunette, folding her arms across her chest.

A nurse ran over and picked up the fork.

"Don't worry, love," she said, "I'll get you a new one."

"N-no! I-I don't want to be wasteful!" Cassandra cried, reaching out to try and take the fork back.

"You're not being wasteful, you can't eat with a dirty fork."

"But-"

"Cassandra, stop arguing and listen to Nurse Betty!" Snapped Pauline.

Cassandra whimpered.

Betty glared at Pauline, before turning back to Cassandra.

"I'll get you another fork, and then we can try and tackle that bit of mashed potato, to please Carabosse, over there," she whispered, grinning when Cassandra giggled.

When Betty left the room, Cassandra was all alone with Pauline and Winnifred.

She tried to ignore them, until a loud growl caught her attention.

"You think I'm funny, do you!" Pauline snarled.

"N-no! I-"

"Then why did you laugh?"

"I-I-"

"Answer me! Stop with that stuttering thing!"

"I-I can't help it!"

"THEN TRY!"

Cassandra jerked backwards, in alarm, causing her to lose her balance. She grabbed the blanket, pulling it down with her as she toppled to the floor, her dinner plate following suit.

Winnifred gasped and instantly rang the call bell, while Pauline stood stock-still, taken aback by what she'd done.

Two nurses came running into the room and helped Cassandra back into the bed, smoothing the blanket over her.

"Are you hurt?"

Cassandra shook her head.

"How did that happen?"

The young woman side-glanced Pauline, noticing the threatening look she was giving her and shrugged.

"I-I just slipped. I-I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, it's ok."

It wasn't ok. Cassandra wasn't ok. Nothing was ok.

"Good evening," Eugene said, smiling at his future mother-in-law, as he walked into the living room.

"Good evening, Eugene," Arianna replied, looking up from the book she was reading.

"I'd like to speak to you about something, if I may?"

"Of course, dear. Come and sit down."

Eugene sunk into the plush sofa, exhausted from his first day back at work at the Captain.

"Your Majesty, I had this letter through from Mrs Pauline Rossolin, regarding a nap Cassandra had today."

"Yes? Is everything alright?"

"Apparently she was really violent when she woke up. She was screaming for Harold, she was screaming for Madeline and she was screaming for Rapunzel. They couldn't get her to calm down and she ended up scratching a nurse and biting a doctor."

"Oh my!"

"Mrs Rossolin has requested that I use rule forty-three in Corona's law book, since Cassandra is still very technically a prisoner, until we pardon her, and I-I'm not sure if it's a good idea."

Arianna let out a long sigh. She was split. She didn't want Cassandra to go through that, but she also didn't want her causing harm to herself or others.

"I'll speak to Mrs Rossolin, tomorrow morning."