Rescued

"I wouldn't thrash your head, if I were you, I wouldn't want to damage your lovely face anymore, than necessary," James sneered, leaning right over his prisoner's pleading face, so that she could smell his foul onion breath.

Cassandra cried out again as he drove his knees into her stomach, practically kneeling on her abdomen. Her immobile palms began to sweat, as her heart pulsed rapidly.

She closed her eyes as the raw, cold edge of the knife, pressed harder against the bottom of her tongue, bracing herself for the pain.

"Say goodbye to your loud mouth, beautiful." James taunted, the smuggest smile on his pimply face.

"WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?!"

The knife was instantly pulled from her mouth and thrown down, clattering to the floor, as James, was grabbed by the neck and pinned up against the wall.

"Captain, Robit!" He greeted, waving at the two guards that had ran into the room, "I was only scaring her a little, I wasn't actually going to hurt her!"

Robit growled, keeping him pinned, as, Eugene kneeled beside Cassandra. He stroked her greasy hair out of her eyes, trying to calm her down. She took sharp, ragged breaths, trying not to choke on her sobs.

"Can you hear me, Cass?" He asked.

She nodded, with a whimper.

"What happened?"

"A simple, misunderstanding is all," James began.

"Quiet!" Robit yelled.

"I —I—woke up and I couldn't move. He said that he—gave me something. It was a bottle of clear liquid." Cassandra breathed, shakily.

"She's not allowed to talk! She's defying the King's orders!"

James' protests went ignored.

"What did you give the girl?" Robit asked, "show me, now!"

James reached into his pocket, all the while whinging and complaining, to retrieve the glass bottle.

"Acrophyme, huh?" Robit grunted, "it seems like you might be having a little date with Cassandra's father."

"What's Acrophyme?" Cassandra asked.

"It's a paralysis syrem," Eugene explained, gently, "the effects normally wear off in twenty-four hours, but it might be worth sending a doctor in, just to check you over."

"This is not fair! I had orders to keep her in line, I was only doing my job!"

"I doubt the King ordered you to paralyse her and rip out her tongue," Robit smirked, letting him drop from the wall, "Now, get out! We'll deal with you, later."

"But..."

"GET OUT, NOW!!" Eugene and Robit bellowed, in sync.

James fired Cassandra a dirty look as he reluctantly left the room. He was lucky that Eugene and Robit didn't notice.

Eugene kicked the knife across the room, out of Cassandra's line of sight and helped her into a sitting position. He had to put his arm around her, so that she'd stay upright.

"It's alright, it's alright," he muttered. He wanted to apologise to her for effectively letting this happen. He had no idea they were treating her so cruelly. Yet, he decided it was best to save the apologies for later, Cassandra needed comfort first.

"Are you alright, Cass? She's not hurt is she?"

"He didn't hurt you, did he, Cass?" Eugene asked.

Cassandra shook her head, with a sniff.

"This is the last straw. She can't stay in here, being treated like this!"

"But where can she go?" Robit asked, "she hasn't had a trial, so we can't put her in a cell."

"Her old room, she can stay in there, under constant supervision, of course."

"Surely the King will object to that?"

Eugene nodded.

"He will, but right now, we need to think about what's best for Cass. I can't let her stay in this place, with those guards, any longer."

After dealing with the malicious cuffs around her wrists, Eugene elevated the young woman into his arms and carried her out the room.

Cassandra's eyes had to snap close as light beamed down on her face, however, once she'd blinked enough times, she relished it. Light was one of the simple pleasures she had missed so much and was glad to have back.

Eugene meanwhile, was thankful that Robit had noticed Cassandra's unlatched door and lack of guard, when it wasn't even her meal time, because if he hadn't, he hated to think about what would've happened.

I thought I would upload this chapter today, because I had so many comments on the last chapter and I felt really bad leaving everyone on that cliffhanger 😂. I know this one was short, but I hope it answers your questions 😊.

Btw- Acrophyme isn't a real thing, just made up. Also Robit, isn't a spelling mistake, it's an inside joke.