The Girl He'd First Met

"You wanted to speak to me, Your Majesty?" Pauline asked, walking into the throne room.

"Yes I did, Mrs Rossolin," Arianna smiled, "it's about your letter to the Captain."

"Is there something wrong with it, Your Majesty?"

"Well, the Captain and I aren't really sure whether rule forty-three would be a good idea for Cassandra. We feel like it would just scare her more."

"I understand that concern, Queen Arianna, however, I seriously don't know what else to do about her violent episodes, I'm worried that she'll cause harm to herself and others. I have tried everything and so has Winnifred."

Arianna bit her lip.

"The thing is that Cassandra doesn't do well being restrained, she finds it very stressful."

"I see. We could give it a try and see how well she fairs, first, and if she can't cope with it we can always look for something else?"

Arianna sighed.

"Fine. But if she wants them off or seems to be in distress, then you take them off immediately, no questions asked, is that understood?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Cassandra screamed as Dr Kelly pressed a needle into her arm.

"Good girl," Nurse Philys praised, gently squeezing her hand, "We're nearly done."

Cassandra decided that she really didn't like the texture of the "Hygiene Gloves" the nurses had on. They felt slimy and made her shiver. They also smelled weird.

The needle was suddenly taken out and a cloth was put in its place.

"All done," Kelly said.

Cassandra replied with a weak nod and went back to drawing her maps, with her good arm.

"They're very good," the doctor said , packing his equipment into his case. "You're very talented."

Cassandra thanked him with a small smile, before he left.

Winnifred wrote something down in her faded, red notebook, before snapping it shut and walking over to Cassandra.

"Still working on your maps?" She asked.

Cassandra nodded.

"Use your words."

The brunette tensed.

"Y-yes..."

"That stuttering thing is beginning to get on my nerves," Winnifred sang, mockingly, "You really do need to speak properly."

"I-I am trying...I'm just finding it hard. I don't know how to make it stop."

"Well if you don't know how to make it stop, then you're obviously not trying, are you?"

Cassandra bit her lip and felt tears welling up, once again.

"No wonder you're having problems with nightmares, you're so sensitive! You get upset over every little thing!"

Cassandra broke down crying. She wrapped her arms around her owl and sobbed into it.

"Grow up!" Winnifred retorted, "Who plays with dolls at your age?"

She wrenched the owl from Cassandra's grip, causing the young woman to let out an ear-piercing scream of terror, from the sudden, violent movement.

"Cassandra!" Doris yelled, running into the room.

Winnifred quickly stuffed the owl into Cassandra's box and stood back.