Chapter 55

It's December 23, which makes it the last day before the real holiday week starts. That, of course, involves a lot of cooking, and the kitchen still hasn't recovered from all the day's baking. That results in what Dean says is the annual Christmas Eve Eve pizza dinner, because what better way to celebrate the holidays than takeout?

Ellen and John go pick up the pizza, which leaves all the "kids" — using the word loosely, of course — by themselves as they wait. They hang out in the kitchen, where Charlie eats an ungodly number of Christmas cookies. Apparently these chocolate crinkle cookies are God's greatest gift to mankind. To Castiel, they just look like a lot of sugar.

"So," Ash says, pulling everyone out of the occasional side conversations they've been having. "What high school drama game are we playing on Christmas?"

Castiel cocks an eyebrow. He's been to his fair share of high school parties, and though they were fun at the time, he can't imagine doing anything like that as an adult. That can't be where they're going with this, can it?

"As long as we don't play truth or dare again," Jess says, "I am up for anything."

So that is where they're going with this.

Fantastic.

Not.

"Ah, come on," Dean says with a teasing smile. "I thought truth or dare was fantastic. Remember when you —"

"And that is enough from the peanut gallery," Sam interrupts, and Castiel has to admit, he's kind of curious.

"You're enough from the peanut gallery," Dean says with a mock glare.

"That didn't even make sense," Sam says.

"You don't even make sense."

Sam just rolls his eyes.

"We could ask the newbies," Jess suggests.

Castiel glances at Charlie uncertainly. He has a feeling he's not going to like this.

"Yeah, good idea!" Jo says. She looks up at Castiel. "What do you want to play?"

"I, uh..." Castiel shrugs awkwardly. "I don't know?" God, how is he even supposed to answer that? He doesn't really want to play anything, but even if he did, how is he supposed to know what types of things they would want to play?

"What games have you guys played before?" Charlie asks.

They all throw names out. Truth or dare, Medusa (god, it's been a long time since he's heard that name), strip poker —

"Wait, hold on," Charlie interrupts. "You guys played strip poker?"

"And I won every game," Dean adds.

"But he would never brag about that," Jo says sarcastically, and Dean shoots her a cheeky smile.

"Not a strip poker fan, huh?" Ash says.

"Oh, no, I do love a good game of strip poker," Charlie says. "But I wouldn't play in front of my brother — you know, if I had a brother, but my point still stands."

"That's the cool thing about alcohol," Dean says. "Makes everything less weird."

"And, fortunately, much harder to remember in the morning," Sam adds.

Charlie shakes her head, amused. "That's still very weird but okay."

Castiel's days of stripping games are long over (but not forgotten; he never drank so he still remembers those high school parties very clearly) so he wouldn't partake anyway, but he has to ask for his own peace of mind, "Are the parents involved in these games?"