Chapter 24

Castiel wakes up the next morning to a text from Charlie and a text from Dean. Given that Dean's text is just "Sorry," he decides to check out Charlie's text first. At least hers is a link, so context is already provided.

And context it is.

@W1nch3$t3r69 tweeted a few hours ago, "Thread of articles absolutely demolishing Castiel Novak."

Well.

That's interesting.

So he decides to check out the article headlines in this thread. There can only be a few of them, right? Dean's interview was less than 24 hours ago, and he didn't even say Castiel's name. He'll be fine. Right?

Wrong.

"Did Castiel Novak Break Up Dean Winchester and Jo Harvelle?"

"Chesterville is over, and we blame Castiel Novak."

"The spicy reason Dean and Jo broke up," this one from a tweet saying, "the headline doesn't mention him but they absolutely trash him in the article."

"Why Dean Winchester Didn't thank Jo or Castiel for Promoting His New Song."

"Oops, he did it again. Castiel steals his TAKEN co-star."

"Castiel Novak's problematic history." This one comes with a tweet that says, "It's not even about the breakup but goddamn they tore him apart."

Castiel gives up on this thread within minutes. He takes comfort in knowing that none of these sites are ever taken seriously, but if they hopped on his ass already despite having no actual proof that Castiel was involved, he can't imagine what's going to happen when it's confirmed that he's dating Jo in a week or two.

He hops back over to messages. Who does he talk to first, the one that got him into this mess or the one who made sure he saw it? After a few moments of deliberation, he texts Charlie back.

Castiel: "Dating" my costar was a lot easier when we started "dating" on set without anyone else in the picture.

Obviously, Charlie answers immediately, because she's always on her phone.

Charlie: But that was so much less fun!

Charlie: Besides, the other person in the picture is Dean Winchester and you can't pretend you don't stare at pictures of him every day

Castiel: I can and will pretend that I don't.

It's not his fault that Dean has such a nice face. And, you know, other nice things, if his Calvin Klein underwear shoot from a few years back is any indication.

... not that he was looking at that.

Charlie: He didn't even like your tweet about his new song like what the fuck my dude

Charlie: Did he at least text you to the thank you for the free promo?

Castiel exits out of this conversation and checks his conversation with Dean. There's nothing there except Dean's out-of-context apology that Charlie provided context for, which means he's either ignoring the fact that Castiel complimented his new song, or he just doesn't know.

He switches back to Charlie's conversation, where he just says, "No."

Charlie: What the fuckkkkkkkkk

Castiel: Our whole arrangement is for free promo. He doesn't need to thank me for it.

Charlie: Yeah but you didn't have to promote his new song for the free promo deal

Castiel: He ignored me and Jo. That's going to run up headlines about us and get our movie in the press.

Charlie: Well no shit didn't you see the seven million of those in the thread I sent you?

Castiel scoffs. Does she really think he finished reading it?

Castiel: Why would you even send me a thread of people hating me?

Charlie: Because I'm an asshole

Castiel just stared at his phone blankly. She's not wrong, but...