Chapter 21

And so it begins.

"Are Dean and Jo over?"

"Dean Winchester moving out."

"Castiel may have just broken up Dean and Jo, and we are not okay."

"Chesterville calls it splits?"

"Has Jo replaced Dean?"

Obviously, TMZ leaked the photos of Dean packing his things. Anyone who knows anything about celebrities knows that TMZ leaks everything. News of Kobe Bryant's death? TMZ. The photo of a radio DJ groping Taylor Swift? TMZ. It's what they do.

Granted, it's entirely possible someone on Dean or Jo's team called the paps to take pictures without telling either of them, but the fact that they were already trending on Twitter by the time Dean had finished unloading his boxes in his house is the most TMZ thing to ever happen to him.

Obviously, sites like Bossip and Gossip Cop decided to get in on the drama as soon as they heard that there was any, but that's to be expected of them. Hell, no one's even surprised that BuzzFeed got in on it — and you can tell which headline is theirs if you've ever read a BuzzFeed article.

But some more "respectable" sites are already posting their articles, too. People, Elle, Rolling Stones... At this rate, he's expecting to hear it as soon as he turns on the news tonight, or on the radio tomorrow morning morning...

It just sucks. The whole point of this was to make waves, but trending in the top five worldwide within an hour of the story breaking was a little more than he'd signed on for.

Part of him wants to scroll through Twitter and see what they're saying. Part of him knows that if he sees that picture of Jo standing in the doorway in tears one more time, he's going to throw his phone out the window.

Fortunately, he's saved by none other than Castiel. 

Castiel: I see you've officially broken up.

Well, he's still talking about it, but it's better than looking at the pictures.

Dean: Yep :/

Castiel: I'm sorry. I know it wasn't a real relationship, but it sucks anyway.

Dean had almost forgotten that he's done this before. He mentioned once or twice that his relationship with one of her former costars, Meg Masters, was for PR, too. Dean can't help but wonder if they were as close as Dean and Jo are.

Dean: Well, it's all part of the gig

Castiel: But a shitty part nonetheless.

Dean can't help but smile to himself, just a little bit. At least he understands. If nothing else, he knows that both Jo and Castiel know what he's dealing with right now.

Dean: True that

Dean: At the risk of sounding like I'm complaining (which I'm not) why are you texting me? Shouldn't you be texting your new fake girlfriend?

Castiel: Fake girlfriend, and yes, I texted her right before I texted you. I just wanted to check on you both.

Dean has to admit, of all the guys that could be stealing Jo away from him, Castiel is a pretty decent choice. He's not sure anyone else would have thought to ask how either of them are doing, never mind ask anyone but their new girlfriend.

Dean: I appreciate that

Castiel: How are you holding up?

Dean lets out a long sigh. What does he say to that? The truth? That he's been home for less than 15 minutes and he already misses lying in bed with Jo and watching stupid chick flicks? He's not even sure he'd admit that to Jo herself.

So, he lies.

Dean: I'm hanging in there

Castiel: There's a viral tweet every month saying that "hanging in there" is white person speak for "I hate my life."

Dean can't help but chuckle to himself at that. He's not wrong in the slightest, but it doesn't make it any less funny.

Dean: Touche

Castiel: Is there anything I can do to turn "hanging in there" to something more neutral?

Dean: I don't think so

It doesn't occur to him until he hits send that this could come off as dismissive, like he gets that Castiel is trying to help but he doesn't want it. He should probably fix that.

Dean: But I do appreciate the effort

Dean: No one else has texted me and I don't know if it's because not everyone lives on their phones or if they just don't think fake romance breakups suck

Castiel: You know, if there's someone specific you want to talk to, you could always call them yourself.

Dean: Oh god no I don't want to sound clingy

Dean: Plus the only people I could really call are my brother who would make fun of me, my dad and talking about my love life with my dad is weird even if it's fake love, Jo which would be weird bc I just saw her, or her family which is arguably the most uncomfortable of the four for obvious reasons

Dean: That was such an unnecessary rant sorry

Castiel: It's fine. I wouldn't have texted you if I didn't want to listen to you rant.

Dean smiles again. Why is Castiel so nice to him? Dean's kind of forced him into conversations before, but that's about it. This is a long way from Dean thinking the guy didn't like him a few days ago, and he really can't complain.

Dean: You've done this fake romance thing before

Castiel: I'm not entirely sure what you want me to say to that because it's not a question but yes, I have.

Dean: Were you and Meg close before you fake broke up?

Castiel: I would like to think so.

Dean: How long did it take for it to not suck?

Castiel: A couple weeks. Granted, despite her having been to my house a lot, she wasn't living there like you were at Jo's, but you probably have a lot more on your plate to distract yourself with a new single and a new album coming out.

Dean: Touche

Dean: I do appreciate the general time frame tho

Dean: Hopefully by the time promo time ends life will be going fantastic

Castiel: I know absolutely nothing about how long "promo time" lasts for a musician, but I hope you're right nonetheless.

Dean chuckles quietly. He's definitely going to miss living with Jo, but at least he knows she's in good hands.