Chapter 9

The first thing Dean does at the afterparty is look for Castiel. He tells everyone that he just wants to congratulate him on a fantastic performance, and he certainly will, but first, he wants to figure out what's going on with him. What even is his personal life?

It seems like a stupid thing to ask, but it's all he could think about throughout the movie. Every time a scene popped up where Castiel's character was with a close friend or family member, Dean couldn't help but wonder whether the man behind the character had either. He's almost positive he remembers Castiel saying he hadn't spoken to his family in years, but today gave a different impression.

So, naturally, Dean has to ask, because who cares that if he's lying about something, it's probably for a reason?

Dean catches him by the fruit punch, where he can't help but notice him opt for the non-alcoholic version. What is it like, living such a boring life? Fortunately, Dean will never know. Trying to act casual, he grabs a beer from the cooler nearby, pretending that's why he came over here.

"Oh, Cas, hey," Dean says, as if he hadn't come over here specifically because he saw him.

Castiel glances over his shoulder as he fills up his cup, but when his gaze lands on Dean, he immediately turns around, despite his cup only being half full. "Dean, hi."

"I just wanna say, that movie was fantastic," Dean says. "You're a hell of an actor."

Castiel relaxed visibly at that. "Oh, thank you. I appreciate that."

"Hey, can I ask you a question?"

Despite the casual segway that totally doesn't make it look like that was why he came over here — can you hear the sarcasm? — Castiel tenses again, but his voice keeps the same tone as he says, "Of course."

"What's up with your family?" Dean asks. "I could've sworn you told me —"

"I did," Castiel cuts him off, glancing nervously around the room as if he'd afraid people might be eavesdropping, despite the fact that everyone else at the party is already talking to someone else, and the music is too loud to hear anyone else's conversations, anyway. "But that's not a good look, so we're gonna say that my family was busy today."

"If you wanna lie about it to the public, that's one thing, but you can at least tell Jo," Dean says. "I doubt she'll care either way, but you don't have to lie about it."

"No, I do, and I should have lied about it to you, too," Castiel says coldly. "Don't patronize me when you don't know my life."

Dean scoffs. "Damn, okay, sorry I mentioned it." He rolls his eyes. If this is what he's going to be like, Dean has a hard time seeing him and Jo work out even as fake partners. Jo will probably slap him across the face, and it will probably be well deserved.

But then Castiel sighs. "Sorry, that was a little dramatic. It's just a sore subject."

Dean can't help but wonder what type of fight he got in with his family that it still haunts him a decade later. Dean's fought with his brother more times than he can count, and they never stay mad at each other for more than a week. There's got to be something big going on with them. He makes a mental note to Google it later. Maybe he can at least find some conspiracy theories, if not some old interviews where he talks about them.

Obviously, he can't say that, though, so instead, he says, "That's fine. Far from the worst thing anyone's ever said to me." The perks of being famous during the time of the internet. "Hey, can I ask another, not-family-related question?"

Castiel hesitates. "I guess."

"Why didn't you bring anyone to the premier?" Dean asks. "No friends or anything?"

Castiel shrugs. "My friend likes to stay out of the spotlight. It's hard to do that at a movie premier."

"What about your other friends?" Dean asks. "You've gotta have other friends who like the spotlight, or at least are already in it."

Castiel clasps his hands together, fiddling with his thumbs.

"What?" Dean asks, confused.

"I, uh..." Castiel chuckles awkwardly, dropping his gaze to his hands. "I don't have many friends, so..."

Dean raises an eyebrow. "I don't buy it."

"I appreciate that," Castiel says. "It's a nice confidence booster."

"No, seriously, I don't," Dean says. "You've been in how many movies?"

"27," Castiel replies without hesitation, though it was a rhetorical question.

"Right, 27 movies, and you haven't made friends with any of your costars?"

"Well, a lot of them were small roles," Castiel says. "People don't talk to the small roles."

"Well, I know for a fact that this isn't your first big role or I would have had no idea who you were when Jo told me you were in it," Dean says. "What about that movie with all the angels and the demons?"

Castiel scoffs. "What, you want me to show up with Meg Masters? I can't bring my ex out, Dean, even if it was a fake relationship, especially if I'm supposed to be looking at Jo."

"Okay, then a different friend," Dean says.

Castiel stares at him blankly.

"Literally any other friend," Dean continues.

Again, silence.

"That's it?" Dean shakes his head. "Wow, okay, you gotta make some more friends."

"Oh, that easy, huh?"

"I mean it," Dean says. "My brother and his girlfriend are around here somewhere. Let's go talk to them."

"I'm supposed to be stealing your girlfriend, and you think people are just going to overlook me hanging out with your brother?" Castiel says skeptically.

"I'm not talking about keeping up appearances," Dean says. "I mean you legitimately need to make some friends."

"No, I'm actually okay," Castiel says.

"You can't live life with two friends, my guy," Dean says.

"I have Jo," Castiel says uncertainly.

"Three friends is not much better," Dean says. "Really, let's go look for my brother. Go make a friend."

"No, really, I'm good," Castiel insists.

"Cas," Dean groans. "Come on."

Castiel takes a sip of his punch, then reluctantly puts it down on the table. "You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?"

"Nope."