Chapter 77

Setting up the lights takes a while, so Castiel has some time to talk to Patience and Alex. It's just small talk at first, something he's always struggled with in the past. He's surprised to find that it's easy to talk to the girls, probably because he's seen so many videos of them that he feels like he already knows them. It's a nice change.

It's Patience who reminds Castiel what he wanted to ask, though she doesn't do it on purpose. Her question is just, "Do you know when we get to tell the fans that you're on the show?"

"This weekend, actually," Castiel replies. "Entertainment Weekly is announcing it, but I don't think they're telling anyone who I'm playing." The questions they asked him for his cover story were vague, so he has to assume it's staying under wraps until Lucifer's first episode in a month or so. It would be a huge spoiler otherwise.

"Oh, god, our Twitter mentions are going to be a trainwreck," Alex says, a light-hearted complaint.

"Speaking of Twitter," Castiel says just because the segway presented itself, "I'm planning on live-tweeting a rewatch of the first few episodes next weekend. I finally convinced my girlfriend to watch the show and I figured I might as well make a big deal out of it and maybe convince some other people to watch it with us. I don't know how you guys feel about watching your old work, but if you want, you're welcome to join the live tweet party."

"I'm down," Alex says.

"That'll be fun!" Patience says. "Do you have a hashtag picked out? Maybe we can get it trending."

Castiel shrugs. "I was thinking just 'hashtag Wayward Sisters,' if that's not too boring."

"It is definitely too boring but that's okay," Patience says.

"And if Jo likes it," Alex adds, "you should invite her to set one of these days!"

Castiel smiles to himself. He's been trying to be very casual and lowkey about his pseudo-girlfriend while on set — due largely in part to Claire's comments but also because it just feels weird to bring her up more than necessary when she's not here — but if Alex is as much of a fan of hers as she seems to be, he's gotta give her something to satiate her fangirl heart.

"Well, she is about to start working on a new project in LA," Castiel tells them (though he's not sure he's allowed to but whatever), "but I'm sure we can figure out a day for her to come up here."

Castiel hadn't actually planned on following through on that, but Alex looks so excited that he decides he has to at least try. He's sure Jo will be filming weekdays at the same time the girls are, but maybe he can drag her over if they have a late shoot on a Friday night. It would mean Jo would probably have to sleep over at his apartment, but it might be worth it if it makes Alex happy.

Of course, this all hinges on Jo actually liking the show enough to want to come by set and meet the girls. Maybe Cas can somehow use her crush on him to his advantage to turn her into a genuine fan of the show. Is that manipulative? Ah, whatever. At least the show would finally give them something in common.

"Careful," Patience says with a playful smile. "If you think she's excited to see you, you don't want to know how much she'll freak out when she meets Jo."

"Hey!" Alex hisses, reaching over and smacking her on the arm.

"Hey, I don't blame you," Castiel says. "I think that's most people's reactions to meeting her — not, of course, that I'm speaking from experience." He says the last part in a way that definitely implied that he is speaking from experience, but in reality, he just didn't talk to her much when they first met. It took a couple days for Jo to catch him behind the camera to get a conversation going. He was very good at internalizing the fact that he didn't feel like a big enough star to be in her presence, and she was very good at not noticing that. She was too distracted by how much she wanted to make a friend to realize said friend was a little wary around her.