Chapter 10

Crushes are not logical.

You know how Castiel knows that crushes are not logical?

Because his dumb ass is still crushing on Dean Winchester after the guy pestered him about his family and shoved him into awkward social situations.

Fuck that guy — preferably literally, but figuratively works, too.

Fortunately, he gets a phone call from the best person alive the next morning before he can sulk for too long.

"Charlie!" Castiel grins. Any chance to talk to his favorite little lesbian is a welcome surprise.

They've known each other since Castiel was 18 and Charlie was 16, both waiting tables at a small restaurant in LA. She's the only person on the planet who knows everything about him, and vice versa. For two people whose lives revolve around keeping secrets, it's oddly comforting to be able to share them with each other.

"Tell. Me. Everything."

Castiel cocks his head to the side, confused. "Everything about what?"

"Don't play dumb, Cas," she says. "I saw those pictures of you and Dean Winchester."

"What about them?" Castiel asks.

"Uh, my gay ass best friend was just hanging out with every straight girls' heartthrob," she says. "What happened? I need details."

"What do you think happened, Charlie?" he asks, exasperated. "I'm in the closet, he's straight, and I'm about to steal his girlfriend."

"First of all, if you're closeted, who's to say that he's not, too?" Charlie counters. "And second, who the fuck cares about Jo? It's not like she's actually into either of you. Y'all can hook up and she won't care."

"The general public will care," Castiel says.

"They don't have to find out."

"They always find out."

Charlie sighs. "Fine, whatever. But I can't help but notice that you didn't deny that you would fuck Dean Winchester if given the chance."

"Of course I would fuck Dean Winchester," he says. "Have you seen that man? He's so fucking hot."

Charlie bursts out laughing. "I've never heard you admit to liking a guy so quickly or so enthusiastically before."

"I don't know if I like him," he says. "As a person, he's kinda... Well, he's very out there, and I'm very not."

"Okay, but you still totally like him, right?"

Castiel sighs dramatically. "Unfortunately, I do."

Charlie squeals. "Oh my god, it's finally happening. It's been ten years, but Cassie's finally gonna get laid!"

"Shut the fuck up," Castiel says immediately.

"I know, he's straight and you're closeted and you have public appearances and lies to keep up or whatever," Charlie says, and he can practically hear her roll her eyes. "But come on, Cas, you like him! And you admit that you like him! And you guys have actually been hanging out! And there are cute pictures all over twitter of you!"

"You mean the ones from the after-party that look like they were taken on an Android phone seven miles away?"

"Well, yes," she says, "but there are a few HQ pics from the premier itself, too. Basically, you guys are perfect together and I love you."

"I don't think so," he says. "I'm more than content just wistfully daydreaming about him while also not thinking about any interaction we've ever had."