Chapter 23

Dean flies out to New York that night, but, obviously, he doesn't sleep a wink on the plane. He manages to get a little shut eye at his hotel before his alarm wakes him up, and it's time for interview numero dos — or numero uno, going in the order that they're broadcasted. Jody's interview airs that evening. His New York radio interview is live in the afternoon.

The radio DJ — Garth Fitzgerald IV, a dorky little dude whom Dean adores — barely gets the chance to force him into a hug before they're seated across from one another, giant headsets in check and ready for their interview.

"Hey, guys!" Garth says, beaming — and, because no one can see him through the radio, it's obvious that it's a genuine smile. "I'm currently sitting here with one of the biggest pop stars in the country. Sales, streams, critical acclaim; he's got it all. Say 'hello' to Dean Winchester!"

That's the thing about Garth is that there's really no way he should still have this job. No self respecting radio DJ asks their listeners from all across the state to say hello to them or their guests. But he's such a little dork that he's had this job as long as Dean's had his, and no one ever complains.

"Hey, Garth," Dean says. "It's good to see you again."

"I know! I have missed you so much!"

Again, he's a little unorthodox. Dean's learned to just roll with it.

"And I love your new song," he adds, then sings, in that voice that really shouldn't be used for anything music, a piece of the chorus, and Dean has to fight the urge to laugh.

"Thank you so much," Dean says. "You know, I'm really impressed that you seem to have it down already. I should've given the song to you instead."

"Ah, stop," Garth gushes. "Now, tell me about this song."

"Well, it's called 'Going Well' and it's just a happy, upbeat song about life going well," Dean says with a shrug. People like peppy songs as lead singles. His second single will be more down-to-earth.

"Well, I know that," Garth says. "I mean, it is the song I just blessed everyone's ears with."

Dean chuckles. "Well, tell me, Garth, what do you want to know?"

"Where did it come from?" Garth asks. "What was the inspiration behind it?"

So, of course, he defaults back to last night's story.

"Well, I'd just started my last tour," he says, "and it occurred to me just how lucky I was that a whole stadium full of people were there just for me. It really got me thinking about all the things in my life that I take for granted, you know? And how my life may not be perfect, but it's going pretty freaking well. And, so, I wrote a song about it, and here we are."

"That is so cool," Garth whispers. "What type of things did you take for granted that you realized you shouldn't? Obviously, the song talks about fans and friends and fame, but what else?"

Dean opens his mouth to answer that, but Garth seems to have a different idea.

"Oh, and, obviously, there's a whole verse about love," he says. "Can't forget about Jo, amirite?"

"Um..."

Garth cocks his head to the side, confused — and not Jody confused; she's known Dean and Jo's relationship was fake since day one, but no one else outside of their families, very close friends, and teams do. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Oh, no, no, of course not," Dean says. "I, um... Well, I guess it's my bad for running late, 'cause I never got the chance to tell you before the show, but we actually broke up."