Chapter 42

It's December now, and everyone's getting into the Christmas spirit. Christmas trees are glowing in Windows, lights sparking on doorways... Everyone is decorated for Christmas.

Everyone but Castiel.

He's not a Christmas person. He barely celebrates the holiday. Coming from a family as religious as his, the day's never been about presents and chocolate; it's Jesus's birthday, and Castiel doesn't particularly want to wish him a happy birthday after all the hell the guy's put him through.

Right now, he's sitting in front of Jo's TV and listening to Dean talk about how excited he is to bounce up onstage at the Jingle Bell Ball for the first time next week, dressed in a Santa hat and "the ugliest Christmas sweater the world has ever seen," in his words. They'd already been FaceTiming when he sure showed up for a "date," and he certainly wasn't going to tell them no.

Castiel doesn't mind people talking about Christmas. He doesn't care for the holiday, but he doesn't hate it. He'll still go down south a little ways to hang out with Charlie, so it's not like Christmas is a total waste of time, and he's glad other people seem to enjoy it more than he does. He's no Grinch, and he's happy about that.

And then the topic of conversation turns to Christmas plans, and that's a little less fun.

"Do you really think we can make it without anyone catching us?" Dean asks. "I mean, the paps are probably gonna stake your place out just to see if they can get a shot of you through the window."

"It'll be fine," Jo assures him. "I'll lie and say I'm at my LA house for the holidays. The paps won't look for me in Nebraska if they think I'm in LA."

"No, they probably will, but fine," Dean says. "Catch me pulling up to your place in a hoodie and sunglasses, just in case."

Jo shakes her head, amused. "How 'bout you, Cas? What are your holiday plans?"

"I'm gonna visit a friend," Castiel says with a shrug.

"A friend?" Jo repeats, confused. "You're not gonna go see your brothers?"

Oh shit. People usually spend Christmas with their families, don't they? Uh...

"Not this year," Castiel says vaguely.

"Why not?"

Oh, come on.

"Well, my friend doesn't really have a family, so I'm keeping her company," Castiel says, which is technically true. "She doesn't really get along with my family, so I've got to pick and choose."

"Man, that sucks," Jo says with a frown.

Castiel risks a glance at Dean. Jo may not know the truth about his family, but Dean does. Castiel can't help but wonder what he's thinking, hearing these excuses that he knows are complete bullshit. Does he understand what's really going on?

"Well, hey," Dean says with a shrug. "If you and your friend want to borrow a family, I'm sure Jo's got room for one or two more."

Castiel freezes. Is this a joke? He can't seriously be suggesting that Castiel spend Christmas with the Winchesters and the Harvelles — that he bring Charlie to spend Christmas with them. That wouldn't end well. He can practically guarantee it.

Jo, on the other hand, is overjoyed. "Oh my god, Cas, do it! We'd love to have you! The more, the merrier, right?"

"I don't know..." Castiel says awkwardly.

"Oh, come on," Jo insists. "We're hanging out for the full week. You could even just stop in for a couple days."

"Well..." God, how does he say no to this without sounding like an asshole? She's literally offering to be a temporary family for two people who don't have one, and he's going to turn it down? He doesn't know how to go about that.